- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2017, 08:26 AM

Default Airmaster Constant Speed Prop

Anyone using this system on the 12? I've heard great things about them and have been told it's the best money spent to get real all around performance. My understanding is that CSP's are allowed in many countries so perhaps some of the non US 12's are running them.

While pricey the Airmasters appeal is that it doesn't involve hydraulics (it's electric) and they can use our existing Sensenish blades if you send them over.

I'm seriously considering going down this path.
A&P / Rotax iRMT 9 Series Maintenance
RV12 Flying.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy2110 View Post
Anyone using this system on the 12? I've heard great things about them and have been told it's the best money spent to get real all around performance. My understanding is that CSP's are allowed in many countries so perhaps some of the non US 12's are running them.
While pricey the Airmasters appeal is that it doesn't involve hydraulics (it's electric) and they can use our existing Sensenish blades if you send them over.
I'm seriously considering going down this path.
Just be aware that an in-flight adjustable prop is not allowed for light-sport aircraft. If you are amateur-built, it will be OK, but you must have a recreational pilot certificate or above to fly it.
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Old 12-20-2017, 09:32 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Havn't flown one on a -12, but I have on other planes, and haven't had any issues - and the owners hadn't reported any to me either.
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 12-20-2017, 09:42 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Although not a constant speed, the Warp Drive is an electrically controlled cockpit adjustable prop.

I have a friend who had one on a Kitfox with a Rotax 912, great combination.

Just something to consider...

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 12-20-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Just be aware that an in-flight adjustable prop is not allowed for light-sport aircraft. If you are amateur-built, it will be OK, but you must have a recreational pilot certificate or above to fly it.
You can install a C/S propeller on an E-LSA. You just can't fly it as a sport pilot.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N456TS View Post
You can install a C/S propeller on an E-LSA. You just can't fly it as a sport pilot.
Negative

If it is E-LSA it was certified as an LSA (consensus standard) compliant airplane that just happens to also be experimental.

One of the basic core requirements of LSA is that it can not have an in flight controllable propeller. If someone installs an in-flight controllable propeller on an E-LSA RV-12 the airplane is no longer legal to fly.

As Mel said, if it is an E-AB RV-12 that happens to meet the LSA consensus standard requirements it can be flown with a sport pilot certificate. It can be modified to no longer meet them (add a variable pitch propeller), but then a sport pilot can never again fly it.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 12-20-2017, 01:16 PM

It’s almost to the point of humorous... a guy asks if anyone has experience with a prop and immediately there is a flurry of activity by the LSA police...without actually answering the question.

Jim, my recommendation is to post this in the propeller section so as to avoid the contention...it’s the main reason I minimize posting about my build. Don’t draw outside the lines man!

I personally have flown with an airmaster prop and like their controls. Depending on the hub you choose, it will have a climb and cruise detents, along with a dial or “coarse and fine” adjustments. The setpoints are adjustable via a serial port. Also, they will use Whirl Wind Aviation blades, which I find to be very high quality.

I also find that Airmaster is very responsive with customer service, even on the other side of the planet.

As an aside, while you will gain some performance with the CS prop; I personally don’t think it’s worth the money on an RV-12, just based on the design cruising speeds of the airframe.

- RV12, N975G, Phase 1 testing
- BE58, N1975G, stimulating the economy one flight at a time.

Last edited by rongawer : 12-20-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Although not a constant speed, the Warp Drive is an electrically controlled cockpit adjustable prop.

I have a friend who had one on a Kitfox with a Rotax 912, great combination.

Just something to consider...
Warp drive is ground adjustable....IVO prop is IFA...probably what you're thinking of
Aero Engineer, A&P
Old 12-20-2017, 02:00 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Warp drive is ground adjustable....IVO prop is IFA...probably what you're thinking of
DUH............ you are right, IVO it is.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 12-20-2017, 05:24 PM

I understand that some people do not perform recommended due diligence when modifying and aircraft, especially an SLSA/ELSA. I do think that a simple disclaimer should be applied whenever an individual inquires about a modification that is not LSA compliant. Going down a rabbithole is not productive every time someone asks about a modification.