What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing completion estimate

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
What did you guys find for the number of hours needed to complete the wing kit?

I ask because I overestimated hours on the emp so I've wasted 12 weeks of building time b/c of the lead time necessary (which is now up to 20 weeks at Van's, by the way) before shipment (it arrives next week).

I'd like not to repeat that mistake with fuse kit and would like to order it when I'm an estimated 8 weeks out on the wings.

B

I had something between 160 and 200 hours including priming the ribs, complying with the SB on bottom skin, wiring and light Installation plus manufacturing a simple wooden caddy wehre the wings sit on.
I guess my numbers are probably on the upper side of the average.

Mine was about 140 hrs for the wing kit. Just as a point of comparison for you, my empennage kit took about 135 hrs.

Last edited:
What did you guys find for the number of hours needed to complete the wing kit?

I ask because I overestimated hours on the emp so I've wasted 12 weeks of building time b/c of the lead time necessary (which is now up to 20 weeks at Van's, by the way) before shipment (it arrives next week).

I'd like not to repeat that mistake with fuse kit and would like to order it when I'm an estimated 8 weeks out on the wings.

B

I built mine in 2 1/2 weeks working full time - they go quick especially the second one. Order the fuse kit now :D

Back