What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Walking around the RV-12 check list out there?

danielabernath

Well Known Member
I sure would hate to forget something.
Has someone come up with an RV12 checklist before getting into the cabin, like check fuel for water, turn propeller till burp and then check oil level and color, etc.
I know I had one but can't locate it with the move of the airplane to Florida.
[email protected]

Why not use the POH checklist that comes with the RV-12? A current copy is downloadable via Van's website.

Why not use the POH checklist that comes with the RV-12? A current copy is downloadable via Van's website.

I looked around the Van's site for a simple trifold type checklist and couldn't find it. But then I've had a hard time finding 3000' runways too. Any help appreciated.

Sounds like you're looking for a checklist that's convenient to use. I.use an Android app, Aviation Checklists. Could that be what you're looking for? Works great for me.

"RV-12 Flight Training Supplement"

The FTS has what you want: "SECTION IV - PRE-FLIGHT INSPECTION" That said, it's not "...a simple trifold type checklist..."

Vans website search feature, "Flight Training Supplement" turned it up quickly.

I did not see "burp the Rotax" per se; it does state:
"Turn propeller by hand
in direction of propeller rotation several times to
pump oil from engine into oil tank."

Last edited:
I have a couple of nice "tri-fold" checklists - one of which I shared with the OP - I received it from Van's for my S-LSA. It's pretty much what's in the POH. It's labeled as being specific to RV-12 with G3X touch, but not sure what the main differences are between that and Dynon...

Happy to share as long as it's with the understanding that user is responsible for verifying / validating the content.

Turner B

tri-fold checklist

Hi Turner,

I'd sure appreciate a copy of that checklist, ideally in word format so that I could refine it to my specific airplane.

I'm at [email protected].

Thanks!

Ben (Jr.)

Be careful with checklists that you haven't personally confirmed against the POH.

A story:

I was flying a rather nice Baron 58 from Norman, OK to Broken Bow, OK. The owner (who had more time in that tail number than I have total time, even today) was in the right seat. He had one of the nice, laminated, commercial checklists, which we used as a matter of routine.

Broken Bow was socked in, so we diverted to Texarkana, which was warm, bright and sunny. I set up for the approach and ran the checklist, which included turning on the electric fuel pumps. I did so. Flew a nice approach, made one of my better landings, and just as I touched down, the left engine failed. I rolled out with asymmetric thrust, restarted it, and taxied to the ramp. Kind of embarrassing, and it didn't win me any points with the owner (who, technically, was my student).

While he went to lunch, I called a mechanic friend (who also had a 58 Baron) to ask about it, and somehow, it came up that I'd turned on the boost pumps. My mechanic friend immediately said "that's not right; you probably flooded it." I said "it's on the checklist." He told me to pull out the POH and check again. I thanked him, went to the airplane, grabbed the POH and the aftermarket checklist, and guess what? It wasn't in the POH, but it was on the aftermarket one. I ended up having to discuss that with my student, and we made the correction when we got back to Norman. I was pretty rattled on the return trip, to the point that I forgot to put the flaps down for landing (thank God it wasn't the gear!).

The moral of the story is that if you want a small, handy checklist, you should take the POH, sit down at your computer, and prepare it yourself. Don't trust the work of somebody else who isn't going to be there taking the risk; I was a fully qualified multi pilot, but how many of us are really prepared for an engine failure at, say, 50' AGL? I was damned lucky it failed when it did, instead of five seconds earlier.

Back