VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-21-2017, 12:22 AM

Default Automotive fuse/relay panel

Has anyone ever used a fuse/relay panel out of newer car for most of their fuses/relays? They are not aviation "pretty". I would hide it behind a hinged panel in the panel for easy access. You could use 2 or 3 identical ones if you needed that many, one could easily be your E-bus. I am looking at my new truck's fuse panel. It would be perfect.

Using one or two of these would eliminate a whole bunch of hand made terminals and wiring. It would make most of the electrical work "OEM auto grade". A lot of newer cars have them in the engine compartment. They are made to live in a harsh environment.

I would still have the circuits comply with aviation logic. A few fuses might still make it to the face of the panel for expediency.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:01 AM

Check out the electrical system in the 12.

I am adding a 6 fuse panel for things like my iPad charger, heated seats, and a few spare circuits. I have the VPSport and I ran put of circuits.
O-320 D2A
Awaiting DAR Inspection
Old 12-21-2017, 01:43 AM

You could use some of these...

http://www.bandc.aero/fuseholder6-slot.aspx

Available in sizes 6-20 slots. Cheap, light weight, compact. Mount them behind the panel for things you donít need to reset in flight, or disable during maintenance. Use resettable breakers for those circuits.

Bevan.
Precision F.I. with AP purge valve
Vinyl Wrapped Exterior
Grand Rapids EFIS
Located in western Canada
Old 12-21-2017, 04:00 AM

I like the idea of the VPX, but am not comfortable with it yet.

The reason for the automotive fuse/relay panel, is to eliminate some labor, and remove risk by having fewer hand made (by me) connections. From the wire into the relay, to the output wire downstream of the fuse, it is all "OEM automotive".

It will save labor, make it more reliable. As a side note, you could probably get all you want for 10 or 20 bucks a pop, including all the relays and way too many fuses. My Colorado has 6 identical relays, 5 sitting side by side. Plus a main relay and a couple of other big ones. I would guess most non luxury cars that is probably average. I am going to look at a couple of popular small cars (Civic, Corolla) and see what their panels look like.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:35 AM

So far my favorite from googling pics is a late model Honda Fit. Very neat and organized, and very compact.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:04 AM

I've used aftermarket ATO type fuse holders in my plane for 14 years, have 3 of them. Light, reliable and cheap. I only have one circuit breaker in the whole plane for the prop.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 418.1 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Old 12-21-2017, 08:24 AM

On my RV-10, I used three ATO blade fuse holders also behind the panel. On the -9A, I am think I may go with panel mounted holders like what is in the picture, one above each switch.
[IMG]313RMHQchKL by David C, on Flickr[/IMG]

RV-9A: Under Construction
RV-10: N959RV Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2018
Old 12-21-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svyolo View Post
I like the idea of the VPX, but am not comfortable with it yet.

The reason for the automotive fuse/relay panel, is to eliminate some labor, and remove risk by having fewer hand made (by me) connections. From the wire into the relay, to the output wire downstream of the fuse, it is all "OEM automotive".

It will save labor, make it more reliable. As a side note, you could probably get all you want for 10 or 20 bucks a pop, including all the relays and way too many fuses. My Colorado has 6 identical relays, 5 sitting side by side. Plus a main relay and a couple of other big ones. I would guess most non luxury cars that is probably average. I am going to look at a couple of popular small cars (Civic, Corolla) and see what their panels look like.
I offer that taking such custom OEM products than adapting for your specific install will be days of extra work, a cobbled together mess and less reliavity than just doing this simple work yourself. Add to that less than aircraft quality connections and wire and the need to start over again if something breaks, you end up with a lot of cons and no pros.

There are many fuse holders that meet your need, like this one: http://www.steinair.com/product/12-circuit-fuse-block/

Get the right Faston connectors and crimping tool and you will be a master in 10 minutes:
http://www.steinair.com/product-cate...erminals-tape/
http://www.steinair.com/product/ratc...er-frame-only/
http://www.steinair.com/product/insu...inal-die-only/

Running wire and making connections are just additional basic skills you learn in the building process. It will also serve you well going forward as you maintain your airplane.

Carl
Old 12-21-2017, 09:21 AM

Check out some of the fuse blocks offered in the Off Road vehicle or Boating aftermarket suppliers. They offer strips ranging from 6 fuses up to 20. Great if your schematic calls for split buss for main/avionics/essential etc.
Car fuse blocks usually break out the power sources from multiple circuits, relays incorporated in awkwardl arrangements, and would be messy to rewire.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:03 AM

My last airplane used an array of relays in sockets and bussed circuit breakers as a load center. All of my panel switches were low-current, controlling the relays.

My next airplane will use a bussman power distribution block, similar to this one, who's installation is documented here:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...-block.399454/

Eaton/Bussman makes many different configurations.
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
S-21 in the oven