Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-03-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krw5927 View Post
Just mounted a pair of these in my leading edge Duckworks mounts. I previously had Duckworks PAR36 reflectors with 35W HID lamps, and these are noticeably brighter.

The only modification that was required was a washer between the rear mount plate and retaining cup because this LED lamp is a bit thicker on the front side of the mount. I removed the HID driver circuitry and wired these up instead, and the weight difference was a wash (actually saved a few tenths of an ounce per side).

Went flying for the first time with them today, and they were completely silent electrically and didn't affect radio transmission or reception one bit. I just ordered more for replacements if these ever quit, because I'm sure once everyone gets word about these they're going to disappear FAST!
Could you post a picture? I have the leading edge rectangular lights in my RV-8 and am trying to figure a way to mount these PAR 36 lights into the Duckworks bracket.

Thanks.
John
Old 12-17-2017, 12:05 PM

Default PAR36 LED Work Light installation Report

Purchased two of these from Amazon (choose the “spot” option, not the “flood”):

http://a.co/irxrxDP

and two of these from Duckworks:

"Round Light Retainer Bracket (holds Round 4" 'PAR-36' Lamps)" $15 each + $8 shipping (ouch!)

http://duckworksav.com/Individuals.html#Retainers

I had 55W halogen Duckworks rectangular reflectors installed. I removed the reflectors and cut the rectangles out to fit the new round PAR36 lights.

The "Retainer Bracket" hole diameter had to be enlarged by about 3/16" to fit over the PAR36 LED lights .

The good news is the Duckworks retainer bracket attach holes are in the same spot as the rectangular reflector retaining holes!!

I tested for radio interference and discovered one of the two lights breaks the squelch in the 125.00 - 128.00 VHF frequency range.

Having had RF interference issues with Aveo Engineering nav lights and been supplied free RF chokes to put on the wires by their very helpful customer service representative (Damian), I contacted them and obtained the part number for the chokes.

[Würth Elektronik] 74270062 Ferrite core

https://octopart.com/search?q=74270062

See the second picture for how to install the chokes on the wires of the lights.

The result is VERY bright noise free installation. The LED lights draw 1.2 amps each and are MUCH brighter than the 55W halogens that drew 5 amps each. This has been a huge safety and power efficiency improvement. The only negative is the lights weigh about 10 oz. each vs maybe 2 oz. each for the halogen lights and reflectors.

Highly recommend this modification!!!

Last edited by chuckwn : 04-23-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtraKatana View Post
So has anyone found a replacement for the MR16 Bulb with about the same 2" space? Like a lot of folks, I just have the wing-tip unless I want to cut the leading edge....and I don't. I've tried some promising LED's that were square from Atwoods the other day to find out they just didn't put out the light I was expecting. Need some Lumens in a compact package!
This is an old post, but so far I have not seen any replacements. I have HID in MR16's and they are good, but when they fail.

Has there been anything?

David Brown

The two best investments you can make, by any financial test, an EMS and APS!
Old 01-01-2018, 05:32 PM

Default Landing lights too bright..

So i am researching landing lights and I could easily install Baja Design lights of 4900 lumens in each wing.

Is 2x 4900 lumens ( 9800 lumens) too much?

If I install one in each tip, what do I do when taxiing? Do I need a less intense taxi light?

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Extra dues paid 2018, worth every penny

RV9A- Status: tail feathers done less tips
Wings done less tips and avionics
Fuselage 30%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 01-01-2018, 07:01 PM

John - I have Baja Squadron Pro's in each wingtip (Glasair Sportsman). They make a lot of light. Recently another Sportsman builder installed a pair of Baja S2's (half the size of the Squadron Pro's) and reports they are more than adequate for night operations. He was replacing a pair of HID's installed in the same wingtip locations and was pleased to see a significant drop in current draw, heat and noise while having a much wider, smoother beam pattern. In our case it's a net-new installation so I have no other lights against which to draw a comparison. When I compare the pair of Squadron Pro's to any of the GE4509 -equipped airplanes I've flown, the LEDs win by a huge margin.

He also recommended the "combo" lens which gives good spread for taxi work and retains good throw for use as a landing light. Based on his recommendation I may opt to retrofit the combo lenses to our Squadron Pros.

Oh, one little tidbit of advice. Don't look into those lights with the naked eye. Don't ask how I would know to make such a recommendation... :-)
Old 01-01-2018, 07:42 PM

Default Good to hear

Mark,
It is good to hear the Baja Design S2's will be adequate. It turns out the S2's will fit in the win tips of the RV9, so I don't need to cut into the wing and add light boxes if using those.

I am thinking maybe I will go ahead and close up the wing. When it comes time to do the wing tip install, I will either put the S2s in the tips, or the latest S2 size LED in the tips (maybe there will be a brighter replacement??), or if that all fails, retrofit the wings with light boxes.

Thanks for the feedback.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Extra dues paid 2018, worth every penny

RV9A- Status: tail feathers done less tips
Wings done less tips and avionics
Fuselage 30%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 01-01-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
Recently another Sportsman builder installed a pair of Baja S2's (half the size of the Squadron Pro's) and reports they are more than adequate for night operations.
Mark, thank you for the pireps. Do you know which S2s your friend installed: the sport or the pros? The sport pulls 12W for 1130 lumens, while the pro version pulls 20W for 2450 lumens:

S2 Sport ($210):
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products...-Combo-LED.asp

S2 Pro ($340):
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products...-combo-led.asp

I almost think one S2 Sport in each tip would do the trick. At 24W I would just leave them on always, if there's no RF noise.

Holger
Old 01-02-2018, 09:19 AM

Holger - I'm pasting below the information provided by the other Sportsman owner. Keep in mind his need to very closely watch weight gains in his aircraft on amphibious floats.

With respect to RF noise, our Squadron Pros do make a little bit of noise. I mean a very little bit. On the ground without the engine running and the lights wig-wagging and intercom volume turned up almost to ear-bleed levels, I can just barely detect a slight buzz with them. I have to listen very, very hard to hear it. There's no way I could possibly hear it with the engine running, even at idle. For all intents and purposes, we might as well call them silent. I wired the lights with MIL-C-27500 18ga twisted shielded pair wire with the shield grounded at the same forest-of-tabs common ground point used for the power ground for the lights.

------------------------------
I installed the Baja Designs S2 Pro’s and think they are the perfect solution for an amphibious Sportsman. They produce far more light than the HID’s I replaced and they only weigh one half pound (8 ounces) each. Although the BD Squadron Pro’s that Mark is using produce exactly twice as much light as the S2’s (and I love that product) I’m very happy with the facts that:

(a) I now have much more light than before,

(b) the LED’s are not as temperamental as the HID’s which sometimes fail to light,

(c ) the LED’s produce instantaneous full power lighting (the HID’s required a warm-up period),

(d) the S2’s are each more than 10 ounces lighter than the HID’s they replaced, and

(e) the LED’s will last essentially forever.

If I was on wheels, I’d spring for the extra $100 and install the Squadron Pro’s that Mark has. You can never have too much light, but you can have too much weight, especially in an amphib. IMHO, If you’re weight conscious or price conscious, the S2’s are the perfect product, but if you want max lighting, go for the Squadron Pro’s.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:19 AM

Thank you, Mark! Excellent news on the lack of RF noise. That would permit always-on operations.

Holger