What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

electric flap center bearing

Mark Curley

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi All,
Building the RV-6 and have run into my first question!

For the electric flap option, the F-680 center bearing is supposed to mount to the floor rib with AN3-22A bolts. If I drill through to the floor rib, I am also drilling through the F-641 and F-648 center covers. How am I supposed to bolt the bearing and then install the covers? If I install the covers first, I can't get to the nuts. Do I notch the covers around the bearing? Or use nutplates in the rib? They weren't included in the elect flap kit.

Thanks,

Hi All,
Building the RV-6 and have run into my first question!

For the electric flap option, the F-680 center bearing is supposed to mount to the floor rib with AN3-22A bolts. If I drill through to the floor rib, I am also drilling through the F-641 and F-648 center covers. How am I supposed to bolt the bearing and then install the covers? If I install the covers first, I can't get to the nuts. Do I notch the covers around the bearing? Or use nutplates in the rib? They weren't included in the elect flap kit.

Thanks,

Mark,

The F-680 was included in the original kit for manual flaps and I believe the AN3 nutplates are part of the same original kit and not in the electric flaps kit. The electric flaps kit has you reposition the F-680 bearing block and drill new holes through the rib, but the implication is that you would use the original AN3 nutplates that came with the fuse kit. Hope this helps.

Quote from Section 8 of the construction manual:

Manual Flap Control

...A third mounting block, F-680, supports the flap mechanism cross-tube at a point just left of center as shown in DWG 40. This two piece split bearing block is bolted to the flange of the baggage compartment and seat ribs, and is installed after the center seat plates are screwed down. Thus, K-1000-3 anchor nuts must be riveted to the bottom of the seat rib flange for securing the bearing block bolts.

Last edited:
Back