What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

towing a taildragger

JimS

Didn't want to steal TXaviators thread about towbars for A models but was wondering if anyone has a good way of towing or pushing the tail draggers. I can drive my 6 wheels right into the hanger and shut down and spin it in place easily after flying but when I pull it out I'm on the grass right away and can only usually get it about 25-30 feet out the door before it won't go no more. On start up I blow all the grass clippings into the hanger. Suppose I could close the door again but I don't have a garage door clicker to open it and it's just easier to leave it open. (my hanger door is two 20' garage doors with a crank up center rail)
How about pulling it with some ropes to the tiedown rings? Or would that be putting a stress there that they weren't designed to take?

Thanks
JimS

Why does your airplane become harder to pull once you get it out of the hangar? Slope, soft soil?

Do you have one of the Cessna towbars which attach to the tailwheel axle nut/bolt?

If you have room, you could push the airplane far enough out to spin it around, then pull it with the towbar. I find that it is much easier to pull the airplane with the towbar than to push it.

Last edited:
Kyle,
Ya, there is a bit of an incline into the hanger and after I run out of momentum gained going down it the plane slows down quite fast. I typicaly am pushing on the wing walk tape area til I run out of steam. (Maybe I can get my wife to mow the grass shorter in front of my hanger?:D)

I don't have a tailwheel towbar but that is something I can fab up while it is
-18 degrees tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply.
JimS

Pulling always seems easier. So I just use a leash on the tail stinger. I have also used the hook on a motorcycle tiedown.

If you're really driving the plane right into the hangar under the propellor's power (I would never do that personally, but to each his own), then why not leave it pointing that way, and then use a towbar on the tailwheel to pull it back out again? You'll definitely get better leverage than pushing on the wingwalk.

Second to that method, I would suggest pulling it out by the prop. One hand each side of the spinner, lean backwards, build momentum, and keep going. I can pull mine as far as I need to across rough grass that way without too much difficulty.

Another option might be to install a set of the retractable handles near the tail... Like the ones on older tailwheel Cessnas...A straight handle that retracts into the fuselage when not in use.

I posted this some years back:

... I know Bill Repucci has a video somewhere towing his RV with a little tractor. What king of towing bar was that?
Vlad,

I used the same towbar as recommended by Bob in this post:
I purchased a Cessna 152 collapsible towbar for my RV4 - it works great and fits perfectly in my small baggage compartment.

Go to: http://www.chiefaircraft.com/airsec/Aircraft/Accessories/Towbars.html

It's the first towbar listed for $37.95. (VIK1)

Bob

Only, I turned the handle 90 degrees and drilled a second hole in it. This allowed me to stick the now vertical handle in the hole on the garden tractor's hitch.
(BTW, here is that video.)

In addition, I used a longer than standard bolt for the tailwheel and brass bushings to the towbar would have something to grab onto. Those bushings can be seen in this picture.

Here are some better pictures:

2013-01-19_23-09-07_580.jpg

2013-01-19_23-08-27_551.jpg

2013-01-19_23-08-04_276.jpg

-8 tow bar

I, too, use a Cessna type tow bar like Bill's with similar tail wheel extended bolt. I replaced the normal T handle with a four foot section of steel pipe, had a friend weld a two inch tow ring on the end and a set of handles.

The longer tow bar makes it easier to push-pull by hand and I can tow it over to the gas pumps with my car or golf cart.

Don

Thanks

For the suggestions and pictures everyone! I like Dans towbar and will try the suggestion of just leaving the plane parked nose in and pulling it out by the tail.
JimS

Back