What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Words I thought I would never say....

mdmba

This RV-8 is too darn fast!! Yep, it's true, I embarrassingly uttered these words today while I was flying!! I was trying to check out my house as I was flying by...and that's when I said it...

I'm new to the RV-8 world and ABSOLUTELY love this plane, I know I'm singing to the choir, but wow...aren't we fortunate to have such a great plane to fly!

Amen. I quickly realized that when I transitioned from a Rans S-6 to my -4. I love the speed and all the other abilities my RV has. Fortunately, when I want to go slow and enjoy the sights I have access to a J3 Cub. IMO, the best of both worlds!

This RV-8 is too darn fast!! Yep, it's true, I embarrassingly uttered these words today while I was flying!! I was trying to check out my house as I was flying by...and that's when I said it...

I'm new to the RV-8 world and ABSOLUTELY love this plane, I know I'm singing to the choir, but wow...aren't we fortunate to have such a great plane to fly!

RVs fly great at 80-90 knots. Excellent controls. I fly a lot down there especially the few months getting in some practice for Ripon to Oshkosh.

But I do love the flying fast part.

Sure is!

Yep you can have it either way. The only thing I don't care for in flying 5-10 Kts. above stall is the engine heats up a little more. Other than that it can get down to 46 with flaps if it is under 1400 Lbs. I have found that I don't like to slow fly much below 55 if I want to look around and then I will not do it if I am very low on the AGL range. On the top end I find the noise level is the thing that I don't like if I push the throttle up to full and cross over 180-190 depending on alt. Welcome to the trade-off club. I think you will like it even with the little draw-backs. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Back