What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine cowling, centered around spinner or not?

Hi guys

Take a look at the image, you can see that the cowl is slightly offset to the right.
The problem I have is that this is mostly due to the baggage bulkhead/firewall flexibility on the opposite corner where the baggage hatch sits.

If I give the bulkhead a good shove to get the hatch and fwd bulkhead completely flush then the cowl centres fairly well.

I'm concerned about the amount of force involved to hold that position, in the picture shown the baggage door gap is trivial..maybe 1/16? It wouldn't surprise me if after finishing all the cowl work that it will stay offset

The top cowl is drilled in place on the boot cowl hinge and the fir all around is pretty good. I don't want to go any further until I get a second opinion or two, will the completed cowls hold the firewall bulkhead against the baggage hatch with that much force or should I redrill the aft hinge line with the spinner more centered?

Thanks for looking.
qNPnyqcs9uelNx_Il42W-0FYkAcy7JKUh46OQtKF9P0DyTn2-zQ9spnOfr_uq8mu2gDsD1U6y_bzBfxDkgTK_Stx2W9XOnbuhK_VUa9bPSFFVT1-1_4TffXDAKKjaldhbDktA_7OTty10KIkTIgAk4tUK7ULYJF6fSeE_yaRM9gZXYMDjWixRPf0Hji75Ba3C43ptykI-d198kTc5GjL9AJnsVhWWAddiSO4SX5i2AuXDmzLk5r92ScpkaazaJZE2LV6TmA7pmQ5KhWfpe5sGN1-OjHrrMkYzDO8Gl-mVmHmG1O2P-FmlTKhCMvDZKx031f34V8MyZh8zLEZDqLK0pQqNWMDwR6aC1zGTi5c8t5Wydhw4Dm0rg9GpdCD8QIkFjnFCsbUist6ZKMsp5g0dveuHk_ConsEW0z3cn92IJlqyifDmLgDkLH0x4ScqMSqbhKMl1SMQdhDk_YKFWde6logzDMh9zJ1mUNfMbqUHhyia-saFFHwChm0kqp9gQ2UC0w7OjikbMvCe2__o0QVKdF89S2VPiUXzM4Gup10qTDlzQa0QkU_Sm7d4ROoTQa567c9TCY8wU_dpy46JGaQJ27mIsTauLzQSbZPazAzlltQw9tB=w497-h662-no

Last edited:
Image missing

Hi Fred, I can't see your image, I only see something that looks like a grey "do not enter" sign. I'm at about the same place and my cowl seems quite on center. It took a lot of time, but making it look good around the spinner was kind of important to me. I have not yet added the cowl attachments (hinges/camlocs) - it's all just clecoed at this point, so I could get the issue you are seeing, which is why I'm interested. :)

Back