What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Rear Window Fiberglass

George Costigan

I'm New Here
I am ready to glass in the rear windows. I have read what I could find and looked at as many pictures as possible. I am still a little confused (I hate fiberglass?lol) and have a couple of questions. After researching my understanding is that electrical tape is placed on the windows (one or two layers - the window is then sanded in front of the tape to insure a good bond) then glass applied to the canopy and butted up to the tape - Will the glass form a good radius around the tape or will it tend to buckle? Epoxy is then added to the tape/glass bond. Once all is cured the epoxy bond line is sanded to bring it down even with the tape ? then the tape is removed. Is this correct? How much effort is required to sand? Will the tape come off clean? One of the pictures I have seen has the fiberglass covering the tape which must be wrong as that would require a lot of sanding to get to down to the tape? ? Or is that the better way to do it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

George,
You would maybe get more responses had you posted this in the RV-10 Forums. A quick search using "window Installation" yielded many results.

There have been various methods attempted to install the windows and avoid cracks in the paint later on down the road. The one method that seems to work most consistently is to use Lord Adhesive as the bonding agent. (You can purchase small amounts needed from Aerosport Products).
Use the method described in the Vans instructions. Fill in the gap between the window and the outside edge with flox thickened epoxy. Follow that up with two to three layers of 4 oz. glass cloth across the gap on to the window. Use at least 3 layers of electrical tape and glass up to the tape. Start with a narrow piece and progressively use wider strips.

Follow that up with glass reinforced Bondo and carefully sand and feather into the cabin cover. Sand right down to the electrical tape and you will be left with a nice line. Do not sand away any of the cloth.

Here is a photo of the first layer. I used both black and white electrical tape so that I could identify the layer. The black you are seeing through the glass cloth is the adhesive I used.
IMG_2200.jpg

Back