What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing aileron trim during construction

SgtZim

Well Known Member
I'll just leave this as a comment since I searched the forums and couldn't find a similar query.

I'm building an RV-8 and ordered the electric aileron trim with the kits. Van's kit directions and plan sheet are for a retrofit installation and aren't clear about how to install during construction. The ribs shown on OP-1 are different - the current ribs supplied with the kit have lightening holes and holes (oval) for the electric trim setup. Van's also prepunches some guide holes for the kit brackets - all parts fit nicely, but I had to contact Van's to verify.

I don't know how long ago they changed the setup, but some notes on the plans would be nice. It's a time saver having the holes punched, but I wasted as much time I guess, staring at the plans and trying to make measurements.

If you want to see how my stuff looks I'll be posting pictures here: https://www.facebook.com/BZsRVproject/

Zim

G'day Zim,
I spent a lot of time measuring my QB fuse, only to find the pre punched holes. They all line up ok. Clecoed the brackets/templates in place and drilled them. They came out fine.

Back