What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quadrant lettering?

Blain

Well Known Member
Settled for Vans stock 2 lever quad. I know it needs a placard but I can't seem to find any ideas by searching. Checked with Baxter, the manufacturer and they don't offer anything.

Ideally a slotted cover of some sort with either room for a label or anodized and etched?

I can't be the only one..........

Settled for Vans stock 2 lever quad. I know it needs a placard but I can't seem to find any ideas by searching. Checked with Baxter, the manufacturer and they don't offer anything.

Ideally a slotted cover of some sort with either room for a label or anodized and etched?

I can't be the only one..........

Why does it need labels? If the knob shapes, arrangement, and motion conform to standards (e.g. 23.777, 23.779, and 23.781) then their function and motion is obvious. I know apparently some DARs get picky on that, but if you need help remembering which way the throttle goes, maybe you should stick to cars...

Also, in my job as an aircraft systems engineer I have never seen the throttle (or "thrust levers" if you're being pedantic) labeled, and these are transport-category aircraft.

Trophy shop

We went through this little snag as well. The solution we came up with was make a cover that went over the leavers with slots just big enough to let it fit over the leavers. Then we got a trophy shop to make a black and a red plastic strip with (close--THROTTLE---open) on the black strip and
(lean----MIXTURE----rich) on the red strip. We then just put the two strips on either side of the leavers, double taped to the cove we had made. Looks good and works well with the other labeling. The trophy shops have two different thickness plastic plate to make placards from one about 3/16" thick and a thinner is 1/16" or so. I like the thinner stuff, both come in a number of colors. We have a thick red one with our N-number at the top center of the instrument panel and a small blue thin one over the "CWS" button also on the panel. There are a number of ways you can do this detail, it is what you wish to make of it. Just what we did at the time. Yours, R.E.A. #80888

Even if you don't have a CS prop you might consider using a three lever quadrant. I did that on my 8A, using the center lever to control the oil cooler air butterfly valve. When I did up grade to a CS prop the lever then was there for the standard prop control function.

Carl

Also, in my job as an aircraft systems engineer I have never seen the throttle (or "thrust levers" if you're being pedantic) labeled, and these are transport-category aircraft.

I think it's pretty standard on small certified GA aircraft.

The controls are labeled on my Grumman Tiger as shown here -

http://www.n28819.com/full/panel.jpg

(not my plane, but the highest res. picture I could find)

This is the sort of thing where you need to be resourceful. I'd find a place that did vinyl stickers. Just tell them the font size you want. It looks a lot better than a label maker.

Really, I just purchased the deluxe quad. I didn't like the feel of the wood guides in the standard quadrant. Lettering was a bonus.

Back