What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ms20002C6 Chamfered Washers

longline

Well Known Member
are used under the head of 12 point high strength bolts (MS 21250-060XX) that may be used on the gear legs in place of the NAS6606 bolts Vans supplies. If you are contemplating this modification I have a deal for you! I had to order a minimum of 100 of these critters when I procured fasteners to accomplish this mod. Anyone that wants a set of 4 will be welcome to them, just PM me. I think four of them can make the one ounce wt. limit for 49 cents...

These type washers are common on Blackhawk helicopters for high-strength bolts that are installed in a clamping state (e.g. rotor head). The bolts have a radius under the head for additional strength so these washers are necessary to avoid interference with the radius.

Installation in a shear state would not benefit, IMO, but the alternate bolts likely have a higher shear strength too.

Raymo

I agree that we probably do not need more shear strength in this location. I do, however, subscribe to the theory that the low profile high strength nuts that Vans provides are a bit lacking. The NAS6606-27 bolts are a bit short when you try to use the taller high strenght MS21250 nuts. These new nuts make the installation easier and stronger, and I decided to use the matching 12 point bolt when I replaced the original bolts. Just my read... and the offer for those chamfered washers stands.

Back