What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finalizing QB order...suggested additions?

RandyAB

Well Known Member
I just got word from Van's that the QB wings and Fuselage kits are there and ready to ship. I'd like input on extras to include in this order prior to it being sent. Aileron trim is one thing that comes to mind. Input would be appreciated.

I put Aileron Trim and Stall Warning kit on. I am doing AoA but figured a mechanical backup would be useful.

Thanks Justin. I'm going to go with an AOA indicator but I think the AOA is integrated into the pitot tube n'est pas?

I'm reading that the Aluminium heat control valves should be deleted with the view to replace them with stainless versions.

Are the windows part of the fuselage kit or the finishing kit? I'm going to go with the Cee Bailey's.

I'm also thinking of the Control Approach pedals but that seems like a bit of a wish.

Last edited:
I'm at the same stage as you and just waiting on a shipping truck through T. Partain.

I added the Flap Positioning system and Static Air kit. My rationale for the flap system is that I like having predefined flap positions that I am used to. The static air kit was to provide a good static source rather than using the cabin air.

I hadn't thought about adding aileron trim as most of the planes I fly (Piper's & Cessna's) don't have it either. After reading your post and finding the "heavy wing" syndrome that some builders have reported I'll think about it and probably add it to my order as well. Thanks.

I'm at the same stage as you and just waiting on a shipping truck through T. Partain.

I added the Flap Positioning system and Static Air kit. My rationale for the flap system is that I like having predefined flap positions that I am used to. The static air kit was to provide a good static source rather than using the cabin air.

I hadn't thought about adding aileron trim as most of the planes I fly (Piper's & Cessna's) don't have it either. After reading your post and finding the "heavy wing" syndrome that some builders have reported I'll think about it and probably add it to my order as well. Thanks.

I ordered the static air system from Cleaveland Tools. It looks much nicer than the pop rivet. I think most EFIS's have flap position info built into them so I don't think that is necessary as a separate entity.

Yes

Yes on ss heat valves.

I deleted the Windows and went with cee bailey.

I also deleted the standard brakes and wheels and went with matco products. Much better product and more than enough stopping power...

Hey Bob.

Are the brakes and wheels and the windows part of the finishing kit or the fuselage kit?

As for the pedals, I've corresponded with Paul a few times over the past 4 months or so and it looks like he intends to ship units. I'm getting that he is having production problems. He definitely didn't close the door to checking in again (which I did today and am awaiting a response)

Kit

I can't remember for sure which kit they were in but if you call Van's, they will send you a list of what is in each kit. It is worth the time to get the list because once they send the stuff from Van's, it is ost prohibitive to return the u used items. I can get the list from the shop tomorrow if you want...

I ordered the static air system from Cleaveland Tools. It looks much nicer than the pop rivet. I think most EFIS's have flap position info built into them so I don't think that is necessary as a separate entity.

Careful. The Vans system looks like, well, a pop rivet. But it works. I've seen a lot of posts from people with nice looking static ports that give false readings.
I think most EFIS systems will display flap position. Not so sure that they will run the flaps to pre-set positions.

Careful. The Vans system looks like, well, a pop rivet. But it works. I've seen a lot of posts from people with nice looking static ports that give false readings.
I think most EFIS systems will display flap position. Not so sure that they will run the flaps to pre-set positions.

Thanks for the heads up. I will look into these points.

I can't remember for sure which kit they were in but if you call Van's, they will send you a list of what is in each kit. It is worth the time to get the list because once they send the stuff from Van's, it is ost prohibitive to return the u used items. I can get the list from the shop tomorrow if you want...

I'll be talking to Van's tomorrow so I will request the lists. Thanks though!!

Just got my QB wings last week and working on SB fuse. I added, static lines, flap position sensor and aileron trim to order. If I had to do it over, for me it was more about what I wish I deleted. I WISH I had deleted aluminum heat boxes (plan to go with SS), tubing for fuel and brake lines, and possibly windows (I was considering Cee Bailey's until until they showed up in fuse kit).

The windows that come with Fuse are the front and back passenger. Door windows come with finish kit.

Just got my QB wings last week and working on SB fuse. I added, static lines, flap position sensor and aileron trim to order. If I had to do it over, for me it was more about what I wish I deleted. I WISH I had deleted aluminum heat boxes (plan to go with SS), tubing for fuel and brake lines, and possibly windows (I was considering Cee Bailey's until until they showed up in fuse kit).

The windows that come with Fuse are the front and back passenger. Door windows come with finish kit.

Thanks Randy for that helpful input. You don't like the fuel lines either? I want the upgraded Andair fuel valve. Does that have to be done now?

Last edited:
I ordered the oil cooler mount as well. It's easier to mount it prior to doing the engine mount...

Depending on where you live and what is available in your area, consider having Van's add some sheet aluminum to your order. .032 is helpful for various mounts and brackets as well as practice pieces. Doesn't take much and if you have to order some separately the shipping costs are high. I didn't do this but wish I had.

I want the upgraded Andair fuel valve. Does that have to be done now?

Good catch! Yes. The Van's fuel valve is in fuse kit. Not much to it, so not sure how many $'s it will save, but, another part I wish I had deleted. Going with Andair too.

My build log has my finish kit deletions and additions. I really like the Matco setup.

Thanks Justin. I've been to your blog and it is quite good. I just finished the longerons this weekend and I was thinking about you! :D I will look for your additions and deletions.

With respect to the flap positioner, Van's has two options, just the flap positioner for $225, or a flap position system with trim compensation for $370 which looks more comprehensive. Suggestions about which one I need?

With respect to the flap positioner, Van's has two options, just the flap positioner for $225, or a flap position system with trim compensation for $370 which looks more comprehensive. Suggestions about which one I need?

'Need' is a strong word, since some builders just have a switch (hold down to extend flaps). But, I have the 3 pre-set position system, and like it. Control forces are light enough to trim by hand, as needed. I installed A Ray Allen position sensor, and display it on a GRT EFIS; works fine.
I did not install aileron trim, but wish I had. Roll forces are light enough that any imbalance is noticeable. Not so bad vfr, but wish I had it when hand-flying approaches.

Ya, it looks like the VPX system that I'm seriously considering has a flap control module built into it so the more expensive system is not necessary

Breather tube

The crankcase breather tube that mounts on the firewall. You can do it once the engine is hung but it is attached with Adel clamps, which can be a PITA to hold. It come in the Firewall Forward kit, if you use Vans FF kit. One thing you should definitely get is the Plans on CD...$10 I think.

You might also consider ordering a couple extra hinge pins...you will need them the first time you bend one!

Leg fairings

Mostly the leg fairings...it's 063 and get the SS ones.

I went with sky bolt fasteners on the cowl. They worked out GREAT!

For reference for anybody wanting to make the common changes in the future i (aileron trim, Andair fuel valve, Control Approach pedals, Cee Bailey windows, and a few other small changes based on suggestions in this thread) here is the list that I had to provide Van's:

Additions:

Description Part# Quantity

Electric Aileron Trim EA-10 Kit 1

50? Nylon corrugated tube Duct NT5/8-50 1

R Fuel sending unit IE F-885B 1

L Fuel sending unit IE F-385C 1

Static kit Static Kit 1

Oil Cooler Mount VA-186 1

Breather Tube FF-1005 1

AN Fluid fittings for flex lines AN822-4D 6

Left trim tab components: E-917 1
E-918 1
E-919 1
E-920 1
PVC-750x2x4.5 2

Deletions:

RV Heat boxes Vent TG 1010 2 (Left and Right)

Fuel Valve Hardware VA-178A 1
VA-178B 1
VA-178C 1
VA-178D 1
VA-178G 1

Rudder Pedals WD-1006 L-PC 1
WD-1006 R-PC 1

Brake pedal set F-1052 2

Brake pedal side plate F-1502B 2

Rudder bar bearing block (centre) F-6115 1

Brake hoses F-8105 2

Plastic tubing PT-062x1/4 1