What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

hand controls

breathe-philly

I'm New Here
Has anyone modified a RV aircraft (any model) for hand controls, for either of both brakes and rudder? if you have any knowledge or know of someone, please put me in touch.
I am a VFR pilot with time in a cessna 172 looking to purchase an aircraft that could be operated with hand controls. I was referred to the experimental form to consider a van's aircraft. But don't wish to re-invent something others maybe have championed.
thanks; mani
:cool:

It has also been done for an RV-6 and RV-4.
Here is a photo of Carl Hay's RV-6 showing the twist grip throttle and hand control rudder/brake levers.
896pnl1.jpg

I met Jake and his dad at KEET with his black RV-12 and skull grip hand controls. Great folks!

I removed Carl Hay's hand control's and installed rudder pedals and standard throttle in his plane last year so that he could sell it. He has sold the plane and hangar. There was not too much to change. It used stock rudder cables with a couple extra pulleys. Stock brake master cylinders with remote reservoirs. Motorcycle throttle with a bell crank in cockpit. All of it was mounted to some 3/4 x 3/4 x .125 angle structure centered in cockpit. It was a tail dragger. Both center sticks moved side to side together for rudder. Pull each individually for differential braking. Not sure but I think he designed it and had it welded up for him. Amazing story and it was great to get to know him. A true inspiration!

I have a Reno racer close to me that is in Phase I for his hand-control Cassutt racer, I can put you in touch with him if you need to, PM me.

Check with Carl Bell. I think he is still a member here. He has built at least 2 RV's with hand/modified controls, a RV-7A and aRV-14A.

Check with Carl Bell. I think he is still a member here. He has built at least 2 RV's with hand/modified controls, a RV-7A and aRV-14A.
And his write-up on the -7 is detailed in an article entitled SODA Pilot, in the old RVator magazines, available for download HERE.

RV-12 hand controls

I installed hand controls in our RV-12. I haven't looked at other RV's however I don't think it would be that hard in the other modelst. I know Van is working on some hand controls for the RV-12 that could be installed in
SLSA's. Ableflight needs an SLSA to use as an instructional aircraft. Please feel free to contact me any time at [email protected] to discuss options.

Back