What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

1 day of transition training

gmohr

Well Known Member
I can't stop grinning. 1.2hrs of transition training. Stalls, steep turns,
approaches and landings. Man this airplane flies sooo nice. I actually found it
easier to land than the Cessna 172 I trained in for my PPL. Very stable at all
attitudes, stall was non eventful. Buffet and then then nose drops and powers
away. I am loving it.

RVGrin.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats, Gene!

I remember well my first and only factory demo ride in the -6A at Sun N Fun '96 when I was two years into the build, and later the feeling of flying my transition hours in the factory -6 with Mike Seger, marveling at the handling. I knew I had made the right decision to go with an RV (and it was way too late to turn back). And the first flight in my 6A was a blast despite the typical caution and apprehension.

Went up yesterday with my stepson to check out new EFIS and engine monitor and I'll tell you, it never gets old. He commented on the sensation of G for the first time yesterday in some steep turns, and it led to a teachable moment for a 13 year old as we explored level and banked G situations, and why nothing floats off the glare shield during an aileron roll ;)

Enjoy your plane & fly safe.

Thank you Bill. I feel so much more connected to this airplane vs the 172.
It is such a joy to fly and to learn all of it's capabilities. I know I made the
right choice in buying this airplane.

Transition Training

Gene
Thanks for posting this positive experience. I'm mounting engine and thinking about future transition training and worrying if landing my RV-7A will be as easy as landing my Cherokee. Glad to hear your training is going so great.

Thanks for the motivation and encouragement

That is what i got from your post.

I am finishing my RV 7 after at least 20 years having the -6 kit then transitioning into the build of the RV 7 and bearing down with life getting in the way over the last 6 years to finish it. AND I WILL this year!

So my mind floats to the first flight, I read everything and view every video and yet......... apprehension, nay i say fear over that first abrupt lift , that first dynamic veritcal.... Will i be ready?

I have trained in the 7ECA Citabria and even to doing mild aeorbatics and have over 450 hours PIC ........... yet still there is that First Flight.... will i be ready?

That is what your post did,,,,,,, help to say ... yah it is dooable!!!. Thanks again and and I will pay it forward this spring with my successful FIRST FLIGHT by posting as well.

That is what i got from your post.

I am finishing my RV 7 after at least 20 years having the -6 kit then transitioning into the build of the RV 7 and bearing down with life getting in the way over the last 6 years to finish it. AND I WILL this year!

So my mind floats to the first flight, I read everything and view every video and yet......... apprehension, nay i say fear over that first abrupt lift , that first dynamic veritcal.... Will i be ready?

I have trained in the 7ECA Citabria and even to doing mild aeorbatics and have over 450 hours PIC ........... yet still there is that First Flight.... will i be ready?

That is what your post did,,,,,,, help to say ... yah it is dooable!!!. Thanks again and and I will pay it forward this spring with my successful FIRST FLIGHT by posting as well.

Dave, while I did not build my airplane I can tell you it is doable. Keep pounding
rivets and finish her up. You will love it. Day 2 of transition training is
tomorrow and I can't wait.

Gene
Thanks for posting this positive experience. I'm mounting engine and thinking about future transition training and worrying if landing my RV-7A will be as easy as landing my Cherokee. Glad to hear your training is going so great.

Steve, You are getting close, keep at it the reward is worth it. As to the 7A
landing as easy, well as I said, landing the 6A was easier than landing the
172 I trained in. Carry a little power over the threshold, fly it to the runway,
at about 2' above pull power and hold your attitude and you will have a nice
soft touchdown. These are the nicest flying airplanes out there.

Congrats Gene

Congratulations on the plane purchase and your transitioning. I just returned from Okeechobee where I was doing transitioning in a 6A with Jan. Working toward the first flight in the 9A I built.

Congratulations on the plane purchase and your transitioning. I just returned from Okeechobee where I was doing transitioning in a 6A with Jan. Working toward the first flight in the 9A I built.

Thanks Mike. I looked at a 9A and was almost ready to buy a kit that was about 85% finished when I found this airplane at too good of a deal to pass on.
I finished up my transition training earlier this week. Man did I learn a ton. I
feel real fortunate to have Scott "Scooter" Yoak as my instructor
and mentor. Learning engine out procedures and predicting glide distance was
amazing. I have so much confidence in this aircraft and now my ability to
safely fly it. While the transition training is over and I am now flying on my own

I can't wait for the next session to learn more. Love this airplane.

Back