What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy fit

Don E

Well Known Member
I?m fitting the canopy and just wonder how much those ahead of me have had to trim off the aft edge? Looks like I need to take off a quarter of an inch all the way across. Ugh. Is that pretty ?normal?? Thanks.

Don that sounds about right depending on how forward your canopy was placed and the amount of gap you want between the canopy and rear window plastic. I didn't "cut" mine but used as belt sander and just went slowly a little at a time. I did find that my canopy "grew" slightly from when I first trimmed it in Feb vs August and I had to trim a tiny bit more from it to retain the desired gap at the back. I had another 14 builder over yesterday and he is where you are and said he needed to trim about 3/8" or so from his canopy.

Thanks, guys

Appreciate the feedback. Moving the canopy forward quickly messes up the fit there due to the tapered canopy frame. I really dreaded trimming, but with my belt sander it was a non-event. Finished with a scraper blade. Perfect.

Appreciate the feedback. Moving the canopy forward quickly messes up the fit there due to the tapered canopy frame. I really dreaded trimming, but with my belt sander it was a non-event. Finished with a scraper blade. Perfect.
What size belt sander did you use. Most of them seem to be big to easily be handled for trimming canopy.

belt sander

What size belt sander did you use. Most of them seem to be big to easily be handled for trimming canopy.

I have a small on, Porter Cable 371. It's kind of heavy, but only maybe a 2 1/2 x 14" belt. I used 80, and then 120; finished with a long block of wood with 220 and then scraped it shiny... whole process took maybe a half hour.

Back