Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2017, 09:42 AM

Yeah, that was about the best PJ yet....a collection of friends from the moment we stepped out of the airplane.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:51 AM

Default Oh yeah!

Amanda and I had a great time!!! Everyone there is always so kind and easy to talk to. Good airplane talk all the way around. Thank you Andrew for a good talk on various fun topics. It is ridiculously beautiful regardless of the IFR weather. We made connections with folks that are friends of our friends and so we have expanded our friends pack and got to visit with old friends too.

Thank you Bill and Company (Thanks Phil for the awesome breakfast!) for inviting us back. See ya next time!
Based - GPM
Old 11-06-2017, 11:26 AM

Default Glorious!

What a GREAT weekend on the mountain!

Thanks to all the Little Rock and Hot Springs crew for your hard work in making this event so special. We all had a great time and it was awesome to catch up with old friends and make some new friends as well. I am going to have to up my ante on the beer front for next year. There are already some mods being drafted for the ole RV-10 flying beer wagon. :-)

Carrie and I took quite a few pictures on Saturday and Sunday, I will get those posted somewhere and linked here in the next few days.

Cant wait for next year!

RV-4 214NY "Carrie Ann"
RV-10 989TS
Always flying someone else's airplane too
EAA - 309420
Old 11-06-2017, 12:01 PM

Default Great time at PJ

Sandy and I watched the Petit-Jean threads every year while we were building. This year was our first chance to attend and it was worth the four years of building. We met many of the people that post here and many new friends. the entire event was well planned and lots of fun. We will be back every year.

Our sincere thanks to all that volunteered to make it happen.
Marvin McGraw
RV-14. #140039 Complete
Flight hours: 100+

Last edited by M McGraw : 11-06-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:10 PM
Moderator, Asst. Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Yeah, that was about the best PJ yet....a collection of friends from the moment we stepped out of the airplane.
Well said, Dan. Kelli and I completely agree.

Sid "Scroll" Mayeux, Col, USAF (ret)
Northwest Regional, Roanoke TX (52F...home of DR's Van Cave)
"KELLI GIRL" N260KM RV-7A tipper, YIO-360M1B, dual SkyView, GTN-650, VPX, EarthX LiFePO.
Wrap by AircraftWraps.Com. Nose Art by VictoryGirl.com.
90% done, 90% to go...
www.mykitlog.com/scrollf4/

Proud and grateful 2018 -=VAF=- Contributor
Old 11-06-2017, 01:27 PM

BTW gang, next time you see Scroll, make him sing the fighter pilot song
Old 11-06-2017, 05:15 PM

Default PJ get together

This was our 4th year attending and was another great time. Fantastic group of guests and great hosts. Wonderful food and lots of very nice airplanes to look at with lots of airplane discussion. Will be back next year THANKS to all that make it happen. Ron & Kathy
Old 11-06-2017, 05:47 PM
Moderator, Asst. Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
BTW gang, next time you see Scroll, make him sing the fighter pilot song
After all, The Little Brown Mouse IS the perfect fighter pilot song.

Sid "Scroll" Mayeux, Col, USAF (ret)
Northwest Regional, Roanoke TX (52F...home of DR's Van Cave)
"KELLI GIRL" N260KM RV-7A tipper, YIO-360M1B, dual SkyView, GTN-650, VPX, EarthX LiFePO.
Wrap by AircraftWraps.Com. Nose Art by VictoryGirl.com.
90% done, 90% to go...
www.mykitlog.com/scrollf4/

Proud and grateful 2018 -=VAF=- Contributor
Old 11-06-2017, 09:01 PM

Smile Petit Jean ... highlights !

Just have to double down and say what a great weekend it was! Weather was marginal to say the least but 20 pilots and crew decided to show up on Thursday just to help and be there early! What a nice surprise :--) Including 5 or 6 worker bees, we took 40 to dinner at Mather Lodge Thursday night. The completely unplanned Thursday Gathering was a big surprise to all of us and turned out to be one of the highlights of the weekend. :-D

We'll be posting photos as soon as we can get them all uploaded but Dan Valovich was on the ramp and shot some pretty cool pictures. Check out this link to some awesome arrival and fun flight shots. https://photos.app.goo.gl/8v6ty1ifCd3xnxPm2

Friday was mostly low to marginal ovc with a few breaks so we had some slots where some snunk in during the day. Ramp count Friday/Sat (50'ish) was less than half the expected crowd but we had a fairly large number that drove in, enough that we had 151 for dinner at the RCC Friday night. (No kidding ... 151 :-) )

Considering that everything east of the Mississippi was closed out, the turnout even without planes was a really nice surprise. Lots of folks hit the trails which I am told were really pretty with all the leaf changes in full swing. We were able to fly Saturday afternoon and there was a really nice RV8 acro routine by Tommy "Vader" Palmer whose wife also attended in her own RV3 ( Ain't that sweet :-) ) We had Formation Routines flown by Bulldog Flight and KC Flight all under an FAA approved waiver admin'ed by AirBoss Bob. I know that's true because there was lots of "wavering" on the ramp as the guys flew.

A couple more got in Saturday and a couple left Saturday but the BBQ guys say we served 147 plus a few double ups ;-) at the Ramp BBQ. It was a great night under the Big Top, we had a fun raffle and auction and a couple of thousand laughs and smiles. I think most would say we had an exceptional Gathering on the Mountain. It's never about the numbers, it's about the folks that make it in!

Lots of great stories this year about "how I got to Petit Jean". Another first this year.... Luis & Fabiola "ubered" into Petit Jean from Hot Springs, AR. I guess we now have another viable WX alternate. Had 6 at Russellville and made the usual van run to pick them up. Several more really interesting stories, all safe and all fun!

Everyone got out after breakfast, the trailers got packed and everyone cleared Petit Jean by noon. Already looking forward to next year!

Random shots from my iPhone.....

Thursday arrivals... what a fun and completely unplanned Gathering!

East side golf course parking :--)

West side on the ramp!

Friday night dinner at the RCC ... heavy Italian ... and maybe the most awesome Red Velvet / Carrot Cake you have ever had ... ever! How'bout it folks ??

Saturday night BBQ on the Ramp

Hanging out at the Presidents Lodge at the RCC

Dan & Karen .... saying Bye-bye PJ .... see'ya next year :--)

Once again, adversity creates a lot of friendships. Another great Gathering of Friends and always something a little different on the Mountain!

Picture links should be up next week! Check the photos section www.PetitJeanFlyIn.com

Thanks from all the Petit Jean Indians
C U on the Mountain .... 2018

BillSchlatterer@sbcglobal.net
Dues Paid 12/23/2016 for 2017

Last edited by BillSchlatterer : 11-06-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruTrakAndrew View Post
What a GREAT weekend on the mountain!

We all had a great time and it was awesome to catch up with old friends and make some new friends as well. I am going to have to up my ante on the beer front for next year. There are already some mods being drafted for the ole RV-10 flying beer wagon. :-)

New model designation .... RV "Tapper Ten"

PS .... suggesting water resistant chalk for the "where ya'll from" board

BillSchlatterer@sbcglobal.net
Dues Paid 12/23/2016 for 2017

Last edited by BillSchlatterer : 11-07-2017 at 11:43 AM.