What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need a CFI near Savannah GA

FlyArmy47

I'm New Here
Curious to see how many CFI's are around Savannah that could do a checkout in a RV6/A.

I'm an Army helo pilot, about to pull the trigger on my first airplane. I have a good friend / coworker who is my CFI, as I am about 10 solo hours shy of my PPL. But he has never flown any Van's aircraft, so I am just looking for someone who could give me 5 hours or so of dual-checkout.

On a side note -- is buying a RV6 a good choice for a new fixed wing pilot? I have my commercial rotor license with an IFR rating so I am comfortable being in all types of airspace. The RV6 is really what I want in terms of price and what my mission will be, I just dont know if its too sporty for a student pilot.

I can't speak to RV-qualified instructors, but I started transitioning to Dad's -6 with about 45 hours total time (almost all in C150s). It took me a while because I needed a tailwheel signoff and Dad wanted to teach me a bunch of other things he'd learned from his professional experience before he let me run off with his brand-new airplane, but the flying-the-airplane part went reasonably quickly.

With a commercial IFR ticket (even in helicopters) and a bunch of flying time (I assume military by your username) I don't expect you'll have any trouble at all.

Being an old Hook driver, I?d say the 6 is great. I went with an 8, it I wanted the tandem. Did my checkout in a 6 and had a blast. Have fun

I know a CFI that lives in the Lowcountry of SC----not too far from Savannah. Does lot of instruction in tail draggers, including RV's

Tom

Transition Training

RV's are wonderful airplanes and a joy to fly. Proper checkout is a must depending on specific needs and the needs of your insurance. When I was seeking a checkout for my nearly finished -8, I chose Alex at www.rvtraning.com. He is posted on the VAF website. You will need someone who is well versed in RV's. There are always little nuances with any new aircraft and Alex is well versed, plus the has your Airplane model! Enjoy the journey.

Back