What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What kind of switch?

JimWoo50

Well Known Member
For a controller that allows wig wag, strobe, and landing uses. I would like to wire landing mode always on with master on with the other two functions selectable by toggle switch. I see Spruce has toggle switches ?on none on?. Is this what I need. Thanks.

Are you saying you want the lights on in landing mode, any time the master is on? No concerns for battery capacity if you lose your alternator in flight?

Are you talking about a controller that does all three functions, using the landing lights? If so, the controller install instructions should tell you what type of switch it needs. It's unlikely that a switch with two 'on' positions will be able to provide three active functions, unless there's a lot of other monkey motion in external circuitry.

Charlie

AeroElectric

Reference The AeroElectric Connection chapter on switches...I think your questions will be answered.

Advisory Circular Subject: Parts 91 and 135 Single Pilot AC No: 91-73B

Advisory Circular
Subject: Parts 91 and 135 Single Pilot, Flight
School Procedures During Taxi Operations
Date: 7/30/12 Initiated by: AFS-200

Please consider this AC on visability and prevention of runway incursions, landing/taxi lights off is a switch position to consider for both day/night and dusk/dawn ops.

"h. Use of Exterior Aircraft Lights to Make Aircraft More Conspicuous. (1) General.
Exterior aircraft lights may be used to make an aircraft operating on the airport surface more conspicuous. Pilots may use various combinations of exterior lights to convey their location and intent to other pilots. Certain exterior lights may also be used in various combinations to signal whether the aircraft is on a taxiway or on a runway, in position on the runway but holding for takeoff clearance, crossing an active runway, or moving down the runway for takeoff.

NOTE: Because adherence to the guidelines in this AC are voluntary and aircraft equipment varies, pilots are cautioned not to rely solely on the status 6of an aircraft’s lights to determine the intentions of the pilot(s) of the other aircraft. Additionally, pilots must remember to comply with operating limitations on the aircraft’s lighting systems.

(2) Exterior Lights. To the extent possible and consistent with aircraft equipage, operating limitations, and pilot procedures, pilots should illuminate exterior lights as follows: (a) Engines Running. Turn on the rotating beacon whenever an engine is running.

(b) Taxiing. Prior to commencing taxi, turn on navigation, position, anti-collision, and logo lights, if available. To signal intent to other pilots, consider turning on the taxi light when the aircraft is moving or intending to move on the ground, and turning it off when stopped or yielding or as a consideration to other pilots or ground personnel.

Strobe lights should not be illuminated during taxi if they will adversely affect the vision of other pilots or ground personnel. (c) Crossing a Runway. All exterior lights should be illuminated when crossing a runway. CAUTION: Pilots should consider any adverse effects to safety that illuminating the forward-facing lights will have on the vision of other pilots or ground personnel during runway crossings.

(d) Entering the Departure Runway for Takeoff or LUAW. When entering a runway, either for takeoff or when taxiing into LUAW pilots should make their aircraft more conspicuous to aircraft on final behind them and to ATC by turning on all lights except for landing lights that highlight the aircraft’s silhouette. Strobe lights should not be illuminated if they will adversely affect the vision of other pilots. (e) At Night, and When Cleared to LUAW. Consider lining up slightly (approximately 3 feet) to the left or right of the centerline (CL) to enable a landing aircraft to visually differentiate your aircraft from the runway lights. (f) Takeoff. Landing lights should be turned on when takeoff clearance is received, or when commencing takeoff roll at an airport without an operating control tower"

I used the Kuntzleman wig wag controllerand switch kit from wag aero. He okay'd it for the 2 amps a piece my Rigid LED landing lights pull. It's DPDT switch is "off" center and up steady and down wig-wag, you can reverse if you wish. $45.

Last edited:
An ON-OFF-ON switch can be made to operate as an OFF-WIGWAG-ON switch
with the circuit shown in this link. The application circuit is here.

I prefer this configuration because down is OFF, up is ON and the middle is FLASH (WW). The Bob Nuckoll's circuits work fine, but the switchology is a bit cumbersome.

This may be too complicated for simple use, but what the hey.

V

Honeywell 2TL1-10

It sounds like you need a Honeywell 2TL1-10. This is a two pole three position switch (on/on/on). Just wire in the middle and top positions and it?ll act just like an (off/on/on) switch. Like others have said though, I think you should have the ability to turn your lights completely off and not just have them come on with your master switch. I have mine wired up with two switches using the switch mentioned above along with a separate wig-wag (on/off) switch. It?s wired as such that the wig-wag function is really the master controller. What I mean by that is that regardless as to the position of the main light switch, if the wig-wag switch is on, the lights will be wig-wagging.

Mark

Thanks

Lots of good advice. Have reconsidered leaving the lights on full time even though they are very small .9? diameter led. Now I?m planning on-off-on: taxi lights and wig wag or strobe.

Back