What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gascolator question

KitfoxJoe

Hello all. I am just installing
My Gascolator on the firewall. My question is do I need a doubler for it? Thanks

This is the gascolator bracket Vans sells. I think it does not come with the fuse kit and needs to be ordered (then omitted from your FWF kit). Search Vans "The List" for GASCOLATOR DOUBLER VA-161.

DCP_2780.JPG

Last edited:
I am just about to place an order from Vans and saw this post. I suppose I will need to install this bracket at some point, so I'm thinking I should order it now. I just completed my firewall so now would be a good time to add it.

Question is: this looks like it mounts the gascolator way up on the firewall. How do you access it to drain fuel to sample for water?

Jeff,

Is your gascolator mounted with the VA-161 bracket from Vans as shown in the pic above?

It looks like it is meant so that the pilot can reach up in the opening at the bottom of the cowl and drain fuel. Maybe it's not as out of reach as I was thinking?

The gascolator drain extension is not part of Vans' plan. I installed an extender similar to what is posted and put a hole in my cowl so I could drain it during my preflight. Every time I do, nothing comes out. So I don't bother with it anymore.

I wonder if it's worth installing? Any opinions on this?

My Cherokee is the same way. I can drain the tanks and every once in a while I'll get a few drops of water, but nothing ever comes out of the gascolator on the firewall!

I wonder if most builders install one or not?

If using an"O" engine, install the gascolator. If using an "IO" I wouldn't bother. Water collecting in a carb bowl is bad news; not so for a FI engine.

Back