What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7 to 7a conversion

mantry

Well Known Member
I've looked through the forums and searched high and low but haven't put my finger on it yet.

I just about came close to purchasing a very very nice RV7. I have recently flown in a RV7 and while it was a great plane it made me realize 1 thing. Tailwheel aircraft take extra attention on the ground, specially for landing. Yes I know that and am disciplined enough to know that and respect it. If I had an RV7 would I get comfortable flying it (landing's mainly)? YES I think so.

My reason for wanting to convert a 7 to a 7a would be as simple as: ANYONE CAN FLY IT. Meaning without the extra training and skills it would be easier for someone to land and handle on the ground. ie: My 10 year old nephew who loves airplanes. My 30 yr old daughter who enjoys flying (and would never own a Automatic car and prefers Manual transmission) or even me in 15-20 years.

Please lets not enter into the discussion about learning to fly a tailwheel or advantages/disadvantages over each.

What would it it take to convert a 7 to a 7a after it is already built and flying?
If I do it myself: (I'm handy with things, maintain cars, home and C-170a when I had it)
Time?
Costs?
If I were to take it to a reputable RV person who for one stop shopping would do the work down to the painting. ie: Drop it off and come back and pick it up.
Time?
Costs?

I did read in a 6 to 6a thread that VANS will sell you the parts. I also read where Vans converted the factory 7 from a 7 to 7a.

Thanks in advance guys!
I'm still thinking as I'm looking for 7/7a's to buy, that whichever "RIGHT ONE" comes along it will be the one.

Thanks again!

I suspect it would be far more cost effective to sell it and purchase a 7a. I believe there have been other threads on this subject that listed all the parts and changes required.

George

Conversion

I am converting the other way from 9a to 9.
The gear leg mounts and engine mount are the same
On the 7a/7. We should chat if you want to do this.
Maybe a trade. If the gear legs are the same length than it's
A no brainier. PM me

Not sure about the nose wheel main gear but the 9 has slightly longer mains than a 7 main gear so I'm told. I think because the stall speed on a 9 is slower and it needs slightly more angle of attack to do a 3 pt landing...........If it were me, having converted my project from a 7A to 7, I would shop for a 7A or sell the 7 and buy a 7A.

Training still needed...

Just as a side note, the notion that "ANYONE CAN FLY IT" is not really true. Flying a 7A, even though it is a nose wheel is quite a bit different than flying, say a C172.

Training is needed to learn to take off and land a 7A correctly, so as to not damage the nose wheel. And in my experience it takes more work than one might think, depending on past experience.

It may well be true that it takes less training than learning to fly a 7.

Michael-

I am converting the other way from 9a to 9.
The gear leg mounts and engine mount are the same
On the 7a/7. We should chat if you want to do this.
Maybe a trade. If the gear legs are the same length than it's
A no brainier. PM me

FYI - The RV-7 and RV-9 (tailwheel) engine mounts are NOT the same. Check the drawing, they list two different part numbers, depending on the plane you are building.

The -9 has longer gear legs than the -7 and thus they exit the engine mount at different angles.

RV-7 engine mount part # WD-762-D1
RV-7 main gear leg part # U-601-R-PC & U-601-L-PC

RV-9 engine mount part # WD-962-D1
RV-9 main gear leg part # U-901-R-PC & U-901-L-PC

The tail spring bracket, stinger, etc. is the same.

I would suspect but don't know that the -9A and -7A mounts are all the same. Drawing 46A doesn't list a part number for engine mount but does list the nose gear leg as part # U-803-2.

Van's once told me that the airfoil on the -9 means the plane has to be at a higher angle of attack to fully stull the wing, thus the need for the longer gear legs and you simply can't add longer gear legs because they would place the wheels too far aft. Thus, the gear exit the mount at a different angle to put the wheels in the right place.

Last edited:
I suspect it would be far more cost effective to sell it and purchase a 7a. I believe there have been other threads on this subject that listed all the parts and changes required.

George

I agree.

I've taken a 7A to a 7 and back to a 7A. Its a lot of work and expense.

Sell the 7 and buy a 7A. It makes much more sense unless you enjoy spending money and having head aches.

I agree.

I've taken a 7A to a 7 and back to a 7A. Its a lot of work and expense.

Sell the 7 and buy a 7A. It makes much more sense unless you enjoy spending money and having head aches.

And even though the OP doesn't want to hear it, it typically takes about 10 hours to get a TW endorsement and a LOT more hours to do the conversion.

Conversion

Mark,
I am able to do the conversion right down to the painting. I converted my 7A to a seven so I have the major parts available to do this. Overall cost would depend on what your painting requirements are. Is it already painted or primed? Do you want steps installed? Steps would require drilling out the rear floors. I would estimate a week and a half of work for the conversion and paint depends on many factors.
I am located at CYQS, St.Thoams, Ontario, Canada.
Feel free to contact me I you wish to discuss further.

Ok, folks thanks for the quick replies...

Yes, I agree, even an "A" model RV should not be flown like a C-172. I'm a ATP CFI/CFII/MEI with over 600 hrs of tailwheel time. While hanging out at the airport the other day I watched someone in a C-172 doing practice touch and goes and every one was a 3 point landing that resulted in a bounce, then a porpoise and then a few of them were go arounds. It is always amazing to see a Cessna go by with the elevator full nose down, the nose strut fully compressed. Agreed, an "A" model RV should be flown gingerly regarding the nose gear.

7 to 7a and 9/9a involvement. I haven't purchased a RV7 yet but as pointed out I don't think this an option.

Gary, if I do end up with an RV7 and decide to investigate further I will contact you.

But it sounds like the consensus is to NOT attempt the conversion of a 7 to a 7a, that you are better off finding the one you want.

Again at this point, if the right airplane came along regardless if it is a 7 or 7a I'll be interested.
Thanks again VAF!

Back