What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MGL V6

Hi

Another VHF radio that I am trying to get some feed back on is the MGL V6. I am installing an all MGL system and I know this radio interfaces well with the iEFIS, but I have heard some varying reports with regards so its performance.

Would appreciate any input from V6 users.

Many thanks

Dave

I am in the same position, I have installed iefis and v6 it all works well now but I am not flyins yet, I have heard the same things. I decided to go with it. I have full confidence in Mgl backing me up with any problems I have when I enter into phase one. What I really need is someone to build some screens for me, I just can't build them and get it right, there is so much potential In the iefis I can't wait to fly behind it

Bird

I have 2 of them. One flying and one not yet. Once I got rid of p-lead noise its dead quiet. Squelch goes all the way to -6 without noise breaks. If you use IEFIS its the best choice.

MGL v6

I've used mine for 225 hrs. The radio is very small and has lots of features. I've had interference transmitting on frequencies around 133 MHz. Still working on a fix for that. The problem seems to be external to the radio. I've tried 2 v6's and it is the same with both. I've heard that the shielding on the radio is kind of light given the very small size. Never had any problem receiving.

The installation is very easy if you get the harness. I can give you the settings I use if you need them.

John

Bird, first thing I did was just disconnect the leads at the mag. Noise gone. Then rerouted p-leads so they weren't bundled with any other wires.

I bought my first V6 in March '13, installed it with the factory supplied harness and it tested OK in the hangar vs another airplane. First flight from KANE (tower controlled field) was this past July; mic gain set waaay to high. Re-set mic gain (I am using a Stratus 50D headset) but on several subsequent flights, Rx would cut out intermittently. Radio display looked normal when this happened, and all other avionics on the same bus operated normally. Cycling power off and on instantly restored radio function (Note: the V6 has no ON/OFF switch, but I wired a dedicated sw on the panel). When I say Rx 'cut out', I mean that reception ceased; on multiple occasions after cycling power, tower would indicate they had been trying to contact me.

MGL sent me a replacement which worked fine for a few flights, but it too would cut out every once and a while, tho (subjectively) less so than the first radio. After about 10 hrs on this second unit, I installed a large filter cap (9500 μF 35V) across the power leads to the V6 and this seems to have fixed the intermittent 'cut out' issue.

I now have about 50 hrs on the airplane. The V6 is a very small but feature rich unit, and it seems to play well with my Dynon SkyView (can tune the V6 from SkyView, and Aux input receives audio warnings/annunciations from SV). Intercom seems to work OK, though I have flown it only a few times with a passenger.

Getting the mic gain set correctly, though, is really critical. If it is too high, Rx/Tx is garbled; if too low, then tower reports Rx intermittent or scratchy reception. I did not find the instructions for setting mic gain all that useful. Never experienced any ignition or alt noise.

While my early experience was pretty frustrating, I will continue with the V6 for now

Warren
RV7--N671CW
Minneapolis Crystal KMIC
2014 Contribution

Back