What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Curious why?

s10sakota

Well Known Member
I'm baffled why the plans say to bend this flat aluminum piece 4 degrees! For those who have done this, you'll know what piece I am refering to on the pic...

I'm really just curious why? First, if I didn't bend the piece, it fits perfectly under the 16" piece of angle that's riveted to the back of the bulkhead. I'm told that there is a piece on the back of the seat that goes into the slot.

If that's the case, wouldn't that make a mess of the whole thing once it's painted? The top of that bulkhead is visible and I could just imagine that looking terrible when the paint is all scratched off!

I'm headed to the airport tomorrow where there is a bending brake to bend my pieces, but I'm really curious why a person would even bend them? I know I would not put anything in the slot because it will badly scratch the paint.

I'm asking just because I'm really curious. Have any of you actually put the seat part in there and scratched your paint?

I just happen to arrive at the airport today when a chapter member was pulling his RV-9A out of the hangar. I asked him about it and he said he never uses it because if he did it would scratch the paint as I've already said. In fact, it looked like his seats were just resting on the front part of that bulkhead. He said that he would not even bend them if he were doing it again and has already removed from his seatbacks the piece that would go into the slot.

Last edited:
The reason for the bend is to have two recline positions for the seat back. One infront and one under the alu angle.
Yes ,I think if you use the slots it will take the paint off in a few hours.

It depends on your seat position. Taller people may have the bottom of the seat back far enough that they don't need that seat back brace. My seat is far enough forward that I will definitely need the brace to maintain a decent seat back angle.

That strip needs to be bent so that the seat back brace can fit between it and the top flange of the angle that is on the rear of the bulkhead. My parts are painted and have been in and out multiple times with no scratching.

Chris

Mostly, we don't bother and hang the seat brace over the back of the cross brace for a more relaxed seating position.

We adjust the seats regularly on our -6 for different pilots and passengers, and yes, the paint on the braces (the parts attached to the seat that slides into that slot) is definitely scratched. Don't recall scratching the paint on the cross-cabin brace much. But the truth is, if you use your airplane (as opposed to just letting it sit as a show-piece), you are going to scratch things here and there, even if you are the only pilot, never carry a passenger, and never adjust the seat.

Badges of honor! :)

The reason for the bend is to have two recline positions for the seat back. One infront and one under the alu angle.
Yes ,I think if you use the slots it will take the paint off in a few hours.
Ah, that explains what all those fussy bits are for. I'm fortunate in that I can have the seat butt right up against the crossbeam; I think I'll use a cut-down version of the seat brace mainly for appearance' sake, and through-bolt it with the aluminum channel in a couple of places with some AN3s. Clean, simple.

Same for the right seat. Most of my friends are big dudes, fortunately.

Paint

Paint?

What is this paint you speak of?

:)

paint
pānt/
noun
noun: paint; plural noun: paints

a colored substance that is spread over a surface and dries to leave a thin decorative or protective coating.

The only reasons that I have paint is for its protective coating and easy of maintenance. IMHO, a polished airplane is Beautiful but more work than I am willing to do.:eek:

I moved my bulkhead back 3 inches (on a -6) so I really need the adjustable brace. I had mine hard black anodized to match my canopy rails. If you are convinced you'll never use it then just leave it off. It's not structural.

I think instead of messing with this piece, I'm going to make my RV lighter by removing the seats and laying down in the cabin like the Wright Flyer!:D

Back