What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-1 ?Treasures? Recently Uncovered in Rochester, WA

Special Delivery

Well Known Member
RV-1 ?Treasures? Recently Uncovered in Rochester, WA
Original set of RV-1 Wing Drawings - Fabrication and Assembly Instructions ? Construction Photos

>> Click on image for link to Picasa Album

RV-1 Wing Drawings dated March 16, 1970, and construction photos dated July, 1972, were uncovered in an old workshop at the home of the now deceased, Mr. Rudy Flaig (EAA 1204). Mr. Jeff Jernigan recently purchased the home from Mr. Flaig?s family, and while Mr. Jernigan was cleaning out an old workshop on the property he uncovered several aviation treasures ? an original set of RV-1 wing drawings and construction photos, a pristine set of Wag Aero CUBy plans, and a set of JD Airplanes Headwind plans.

Mr. Jernigan doesn?t have a background or interest in aviation, but when he found these items in Mr. Flaig?s old shed he immediately realized that he might well be holding aviation history in his hands. Mr. Jernigan then safely stored the items and began to search out the origin of these treasures in an attempt to find them a proper home. One of Mr. Jernigan?s calls was to Van?s Aircraft Company, who directed him to Friends of the RV-1. Asking for nothing in return and at his own expense, Mr. Jernigan forwarded these historical treasures to Friends of the RV-1 for safekeeping and subsequent gifting to the EAA Museum.

The RV-1 documents have been digitized for safekeeping and to provide the public a convenient method of viewing these historical documents. The Wag Aero drawings have been forwarded to the Cub Club in Hartford, WI, for placement in their library, and we?re still searching for a home for the Headwind drawings. Special thanks go out to Mr. Jeff Jernigan for his part in preserving this slice of aviation history! Details remain somewhat sketchy about the life of Mr. Rudy Flaig and his aviation activities and accomplishments, but we?re currently working with his family and other sources to develop a short biography to include with his RV-1 drawings and photos when they are presented to the EAA Museum.

Have a great day!

WOW!!!!!

That is cool, thanks for sharing that with us.

Front page material on Monday, I'll bet.

What a treasure...

...including a definitive verdict on Priming from the man himself:D:eek:
(run....duck....hide...);)

Jeremy

Providence. They sat protected in a dusty old shop (just like mine!) for several decades since they were used, and then appeared reborn to eager eyes just months before the RV-1 makes its grand entry in honor of its designer and builder. We are a blessed people.

--
Stephen

Not intended to "thread drift", but a buddy of mine inherited one of the first customer built RV-3s from his uncle with all docs and drawings. Some instructions were hand written in the margins of the prints and signed by Van himself. Pretty cool.

Thanks for sharing the RV-1 docs. Very cool.

Wing Ribs

It's interesting that the ribs in the photo's are hydro-pressed (or at least that's what it looks like) and not "home made".

Found a home for the Headwind drawings!

First and foremost, the experimental aviation community owes a very special thanks to Mr. Jeff Jernigan of Rochester, WA, for his time, effort, and expense associated with preserving several significant pieces of aviation history.

If it weren't for Mr. Jernigan's efforts, the following original and historic drawings would have been destroyed and lost forever; -RV-1, -CUBy, and -Headwind 1.6. The RV-1 drawings will be placed with the EAA Museum, the CUBy drawings were forwarded to the Cub Club in Wisconsin for placement in their library, and we just received the following note from the designer of the Headwind.

Mr. Butcher,

I'm the designer of the Headwind and would love to have the drawings,
especially the 1.6 set. I designed the airplane in the early 60s and don't
have a set for the 1.6 version, which was the prototype. My address is;

Doanld Stewart
W8923 N Lake Dr.
Vulcan, Michigan 49892
906 438 2277

Thank's a lot for the note.
Low and Slow
Don

Friends of the RV-1 is YOUR organization and represents the collective efforts of the RV community. It's your participation and support that create these kinds of opportunities, and with your continued support, I'm looking forward to Friends of the RV-1 becoming about much more than just seeing the RV-1 take its rightful place in aviation history! Thank you for your support and keep up the great work!

Van's recollection of drawings and photos...

VAN-
"The photos you posted, along with the RV-1 drawings, look more like those of an RV-3 wing than the original RV-1 wing. I don't now remember whether or not I had modified the RV-1 wing drawings before selling them. For instance, the RV-1 wing has a fuselage center section with very short stub spars. The photos show spar stubs of significant length, like those of the RV-3 which join together and the fuselage center.

In starting my search for the (original) RV-1 drawings, I am finding other old stuff (like the RV-2 plans) that I had forgotten about.

Dick VanGrunsven

P.S. The photos were taken at my parents farm, where I had built the RV-1
and RV-3."

For those of you that may not be aware, Van has been taking a very active part in the restoration of the RV-1. More about this and some of the actual parts he's fabricated will be posted soon in separate thread... for now, just imagine that Van still has the original RV-1 fiberglass molds and that his lay-up skills have significantly improved over the years.

Back