- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Activity Specific > Trip Write-ups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2018, 09:43 PM

Default Day 6 (continued)

It freakin' poured here. I didn't want to know how my poor little tent was holding up.

As I previously mentioned, my friend Derek couldn't make it to Oshkosh this year. So we did what we could to make him know we missed him and bought him a signed Beer Ventures poster.

Karina didn't understand why Derek would miss out on all of this fun. I'm sure this photo isn't contributing at all to Derek's list of regrets for not attending!!!!

Well, why not another beer bong? I need to make up for not doing any last year.

Mitch, under the guidance of my expert tutelage, decided another bong was also a good idea. Even though it was disappointing the night air show was cancelled and some terrible weather rolled through, we made the best of the evening!
EAA Technical Counselor
The Best FAA N-Number Availability Search Engine -TailNum.com
Old 08-27-2018, 09:44 PM

Default Day 7

I managed to wake up before sunrise to another perfect Wisconsin day. Unfortunately today I'm headed out of here. Taking the RV further west than she's ever been before - COLORADO!

Another RV'er snapped this pic of sunrise today and sent it to me. I wish I could wake up to this view every day.

A lot of people were tearing down camp. Mitch was out early bumming a ride back to Plymouth Mass in a Cirrus.

Jerry Fischer flagged me down at HBC HQ (in his own Jerry way). I ran into EAA'a Charlie Becker the other day and he said he'd be dropping something special off to Jerry for me - Thanks for the limited edition of 2018 Homebuilders Hefe, Charlie!!!! Oh, and thank you Van's for the free t-shirt!!!

Getting out of Oshkosh was relatively painless this year. I don't think I've ever had any issues getting out. There were a couple of stuck mic's causing a hold up on the tower frequency, but that's about it. I was able to catch my friend Bob Leffler departing in his RV-10.

Somewhat sad to leave Oshkosh, this was such a fun year. But excited for new adventures to new places.

After 3.1 hours in the air, it's time to get some fuel and stretch out. Wayne Municipal Airport (LCG) was right along my route and had cheap fuel.

Another GREAT airport to land out. They had a plethora of free sandwiches for us Oshkosh'ers.

Next stop, KFNL in Loveland, CO. I was a little intimidated to fly so far west. Not so much the distance from home, but the unknown about weather, high altitude, etc..

There was a line of storms along my direct route from KLCG to KFNL. It looked like there was a nice hole to weave through.
EAA Technical Counselor
Old 08-27-2018, 09:44 PM

Default Day 7 (continued)

I can't complain too much about a little 13 kts headwind at 8,500'/

The clouds started building the closer I got to the line of storms, as expected.

Light rain was all around me, but it was clear sailing through the hole in the line of rain I was going through.

Sweet, I made it through. I should be in the clear for a run to FNL!
EAA Technical Counselor
Old 08-27-2018, 09:45 PM

Well, the airplane did need a wash to get the Oshkosh dust off of her.

I rode just south of the line of storms. I was on autopilot, and I noticed something didn't seem right. I was bookin' at 172kts airspeed. All of the sudden, I encountered some of the worst turbulence I've ever experienced, I flicked off the autopilot and immediately diverted south and climbed from 6,500' to 8,500'. It was terrifying. I should of known something was awry when my airspeed was 172 kts - I was in an updraft and my autopilot was compensating for it by putting me in a decent. I definitely flew too close to this line of storms and learned a good valuable lesson.

With my heard beating at a normal rate again, I enjoyed the scenic views eastern Colorado had to offer.

I dropped back down to 6,500' to fend off some headwinds and try to get to KFNL as quickly as possible. Some storms were quickly headed to the same destination I was aimed for.

Those look like some Rocky Mountains ahead!

This is what I had been concerned about for the past 30 minutes or so - a storm cell moving over KFNL. Garmin Pilot and my GRT ADS-B painted the weather picture as somewhat grim.

In actuality, this is what I was dealing with as I was downwind for runway 15. This is the highest airport I've ever landed at by over 3,000' MSL. My first mistake was fully enriching my mixture on downwind as part of my pre-landing checklist. My engine let me know right away that wasn't a good idea!

I've always wanted this pic of my RV with the Rocky Mountains behind it.

The RV snugged down for a few nights in Ft Collins.

It's hard to believe I went from Oshkosh, WI to Fort Collins, CO today and am currently riding back from a micro brewery with my good friend Kara on bicycles.
EAA Technical Counselor
Old 08-27-2018, 09:45 PM

Meanwhile back at Oshkosh, my friends sent me this awesome time-lapse of the postponed night airshow.
EAA Technical Counselor
Old 08-27-2018, 09:47 PM

Default Day 9

My 2 days in Fort Collins were nothing less than spectacular. My friend from San Diego ended up coincidentally being in town. Can you tell we shop at the same store????

This could be the most innovative invention I've ever seen...the bicycle growler holder!

Fun times were had by all at the Horse & Dragon Brewing Company.

This was my biggest fear of leaving my RV parked outside at Fort Collins - hale damage. Just a few weeks ago my friends got caught in a storm with golf ball sized hale which did a number to their car. I can only imagine what it would do to the RV.....luckily it ended up being a false alarm and the RV remained safe.

Great day in Colorado catching up with a great group of friends!

The weather in the Denver area was pretty murky Saturday morning. Plus some storms were moving in from the west. I found a good MVFR window and blasted off a little before noon. My next destination is Des Moines, IA.

It was a little soupy out, but very manageable. Conditions significantly improved as I got further east.

Woohoo! Full VFR conditions!

The clouds quickly burned off and I went up high to try to grab some tailwind.

Closer to Des Moines there was some minor weather to contend with. Compared to the trip from the east coast to Oshkosh, this has been relatively easy.
EAA Technical Counselor
Old 08-27-2018, 09:48 PM

Default Day 9 (continued)

The clouds were slowly becoming more of a solid overcast. I stayed on top as long as possible, but I didn't want to stay on top as we approached the lines of storms, fearing a tall buildup of clouds would certainly be near the storms.

Right before the rain, I dropped down.

I've flown into Des Moines many times, but never from the west. This is the Saylorville Lake, which the upper Des Moines river feeds into. A **** then controls the flow into the lower Des Moines river, which flows through downtown.

Safe on the ground after 3.3 hours from Fort Collins. Ankeny (IKV) is a great little airport with super friendly staff.

I met up with my College friend Rene and his wife Monika for a fun night of catching up and checking out the local Italian festival. I was shocked I found a cardboard cutout of exactly what I look like with my shirt off!!
EAA Technical Counselor
Old 08-27-2018, 09:48 PM

Default Day 10

For the first time this trip, there were ZERO concerns with weather for my next leg of my trip from Des Moines, IA to Port Huron, MI. Fuel at IKV was a little on the steep side....so I headed over to Belle Plaine Municipal Airport (KTZT) for some very affordable fuel.

Shouldn't I be getting a tailwind heading east??? Weather's been totally screwed up this entire trip.

Like I said earlier, it was a great day to fly. Nice puffy clouds and a smooth ride.

Crossing back over the Mississippi.

Finally...some tailwind! I'll take it.

Rounding the southern corner of Lake Michigan the visibility did degrade slightly.

Heading up through Michigan it was quite bumpy. It was a hot day, so the thermals were keeping me awake.

This may not represent much to most people - it's route 23 between Anne Arbor, MI and Flint, MI. It's a significant road to me....I went to college in Flint (Kettering University, formerly known as GMI). After driving 9 hours from MD to go to school, this stretch was the final 1 hour leg where excitement to see my friend and go back to school really kicked off. That school got me the amazing job I have today, and taught me an incredible skill set to be successful. Furthermore, years after graduation, I bought my IO360 engine just north of Flint and drove it back to MD on this highway. It's the greatest stretch of highway to my life, and I'm glad I experienced this serendipitous encounter.

Some people were having fun at the General Motors Proving Grounds.

North side of Lake Saint Clair.
EAA Technical Counselor
Old 08-27-2018, 09:49 PM

Default Day 10 (continued)

On crosswind to land at PHN the St Clair river was off to my right with Ontario on the far side.

I got a sweet hookup with a hangar at PHN. Super friendly FBO. One of the line guys said that the RV was the sexiest thing he's seen in a while....and that's with a Cirrus. Take that #CirrusLife!

My buddy and his son were waiting for me when I landed. We spend a few hours watching speedboats go up and down the St Clair River.

What better way to procure some firewood than using his Willy's Jeep? What an absolute blast this was riding around the dirt roads of MI.
EAA Technical Counselor
Old 08-27-2018, 09:50 PM

Default Day 11

Off on my final leg of the trip. I originally planned to go to Buffalo, NY today. I could of made it there, but the weather forecast to make it home the following day looked grim. In fact, today's weather was going to present some unique challenges to make it home. Time to see how far I can make it!

Downtown Detroit.

Detroit River.

Detroit Metro (KDTW) off my right wing.

And here's the weather between me and home. And it was encroaching on my home airport......

As I rounded the MI/OH border and stared to head east, the ceiling and visibility slightly dropped.

I decided it was foolish to attempt to find a hole though this large system over the mountains of PA, so around it was!

North of Akron, OH I passed near the Goodyear Blimp.

I kept at a good arms length away from this system as I tried to scoot around it.

My flight path coincidentally took me over the Dew Drop campgrounds in the Allegheny National Forest. I did a couple of circles around to let my favorite camp managers, Ray and Von, know I was nearby and thinking of them. They've nicknamed me "Crazy Man".
EAA Technical Counselor