Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-15-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRomeo View Post
Has anyone in the RV world built a DIY lifting floor creeper? Something like the guy here, but with a twist. There are a few threads about people buying lifting creepers, but I was specifically looking for a DIY, made with 2 X 4's and bolts type thing. Workbench like...

My little mod idea: I would like to have a boat winch type setup on the right side just about where my hand would rest. This so I can crank it while laying down to lift the creeper bed slightly. I don't see why the crank assembly couldn't stick up a little bit to accommodate a standard winch/handle. Something like the Photoshopped Frankenstein here that I hobbled together.

You know how you need different heights when you're wiping the leading vs trailing edges of your taildragger RV? And the bottom of the cowl vs the underside of the HS? Trying to address those things using the RV Community Brain Trust.....and wood.

Something like Sam did with his DIY tail lift project, but laid down over on its side. Absolutely if I can work up some plans and a prototype with the help of others, I'll host the parts list and plans here somewhere if nobody else wants to.

Something like this, drawn up on my iPad just now:

(Rope in red)

I’d like to start at the ailerons and move back and forth, then with a half turn of the crank be perfectly positioned to do the center of the wing, then with a half turn of the crank be in perfect position for the leading edge area. That sort of thing.

Maybe a little cup holder on the side for a spray bottle and rags...

https://ezcreeper.com/

[ed. $950. Thanks I'll pass. b,d]

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 08-15-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:17 PM

Default Love the idea - Hate the Price

This is a great idea but the price puts it in the purely luxury category. I can put a lot of pillows under my head with my $29 Harbor Freight creeper for the $400 price of the EZCreeper! Frankly, the price gives me the CREEPS!

[ed. The EZ is $950 - no thanks I'll pass. I could build 15 of what I'm proposing for that <g>.....probably more! b,d]
RV-8 N184RK (flying)
Flying an A320 to pay the bills
Exempt and gladly donating anyway - Current through Jan 2019

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 08-15-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:47 PM

Just bought the HF creeper today for $27 and turned it around to give me a little more Ďaltitudeí, and I have to say, itís pretty comfortable. I donít think the plastic wheels will last long, but Iíve saved better castoring wheels from other projects and Iíll change them out when it becomes necessary. Designing and building a home grown version could not be done cheaper.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:18 AM

DR, why not use a low priced hydraulic jack from HF to do the lifting job. Most will operate from the horizontal position and you could have a large lifting force. Maybe more than the the frame allowed if not careful. Most floor jacks have a horizontal mounting for the cylinder with linkage to the jack plate.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:06 AM

This is definitely not made out of wood,
nor is it a DIY lifting creeper but,
I came across this called the Human Hoist power shop chair.
I found their website here:http://www.humanhoist.com/human-hoist
No price is shown but I know it's way more than I would ever consider.

RV-6 Flying

Last edited by Ralph Ketter : 08-24-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:05 PM

Wow! I'll bet that one will exceed my weekly airplane budget money for several months. I bet it does DR's also. But nice looking piece of mechanical equipment and appears well made.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:23 PM

Default electric linear actuators

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisRhodes View Post
DR, why not use a low priced hydraulic jack from HF to do the lifting job. Most will operate from the horizontal position and you could have a large lifting force. Maybe more than the the frame allowed if not careful. Most floor jacks have a horizontal mounting for the cylinder with linkage to the jack plate.
This one has 100lbs/force on 12v. I think a drill battery would work fine with an up/down switch (like the flaps switch in your RV). Less expensive models are available from plenty of suppliers. This part could make the "X" in the lifting mechanism fold and unfold nicely...all you have to do is build the X frame, figure out how much travel you need from the actuator, and your dang near done with the job!

https://www.progressiveautomations.c...-actuator-ip66

Some less expensive options:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...tric-actuators

Switches and fittings at Northern Tool too..

"Not everyone needs a Rocket. Some folks, however, shouldn't live life without one.
You know who you are."
Budd Davisson, 1997
Old 08-24-2018, 03:27 PM

I was looking at the HF creeper on line and wonder if it's possible to mount the seat and backrest on a separate frame that's hinged at the foot and raised and lowered by a cheap HF jack. That would give you a height adjustment and also a back angle adjustment, but not a foot-height adjustment.

If you added a foot rest for use when the seat is raised (and thus inclined) then it might not be a bad way to do this.

Dave
Old 08-27-2018, 12:24 PM

Put a cushy backrest on this and keep rocking......

https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb...art-60730.html

[ed. Awesome!!!! dr]
www.flyboyaccessories.com
RV and Rocket Accessories, Tailwheels, Tools, & More
1-888-8FLYBOY (1-888-835-9269)

F4 Raider - under construction
F1-H Rocket "Crazy Horse" - sold
RV-4 "Chief Pontiac" - sold

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 08-27-2018 at 01:44 PM.