What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron trailing edge gap

JDBoston

Well Known Member
I did email Vans as well, however has anyone else ended up with a gap (slight .020 in places but gets narrower obviously where the rivets are) between the skins and trailing edge on an aileron? The edge does appear straight, just that there is a bit of a gap in places. My flaps came out better than this. I believe what may have happened here is that I failed to let the tape bond well. I am fairly shattered over this, and if the answer ends up being rebuild an aileron (only have one assembled) It will be one of those projects I do later in the build just to keep momentum.

Ughhhhhh the feeling which I am sure many of you have had with that final step in an assembly that doesn't go the way you planned.

Pictures may help but they tend to exaggerate the gap due to the way you have to take these photos.

Countersinks? If they are too shallow the edge never gets flat. If they are too deep yo can see in open back up as you oversqueeze. Squeeze one slowly and watch the edge closely.

Thanks everyone.

Perhaps countersinks.... Thought I had checked all of them though.

The technique I have been using is backriveting the trailing edge at very low air pressure with the 3x gun. I bought a steel angle that I put at the edge of the bench which serves as a backrivet plate that spans the entire length of the trailing edge ensuring that I get a mostly straight edge.

Back