What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ELT mounting location

Hello everybody,

I am approaching the closing of my tailcone and I still do not have a clear idea where the ELT is going to be installed and same for the antenna. The antenna cable is laid down as per plans and I figured out that at one end there is going to be the ELT unit (forward) and at the other end the antenna (aft). But where exactly?Is Vans furnishing a mounting tray? Hardware?

Is out there someone smarter than me that knows better?

Thanks a lot!

not sure on the 14 but the 7 there is a mounting kit that mounts behind bagage area in between two J stringers on the side of fuse.

I figured out that at one end there is going to be the ELT unit (forward) and at the other end the antenna (aft).

That seems backwards. It looks like the ELT is going to mount on top of the aft deck, and the antenna will mount in the baggage compartment.

Look at figure 3 on page 10-27. You can see where a couple of wires come up through a grommet to the area where the ELT will sit on top of the aft deck. I haven't seen anything announced, but it looks like they have an Ack ELT in the prototype, and the wiring harness seems correct for an Ack ELT. They even included the GPS signal for the ELT in the wiring harness.

ELT

Not too sure if this helps, but check around the 9:00m mark of the RV-14 walk-around video. The ELT is shown there for a few seconds.

I was curious exactly how the ELT would mount on the aft deck, so I checked it out last night. Centered on the front of the aft deck there are four screw holes in a 5.5"x2" pattern. This matches the Ack ELT mounting bracket hole pattern exactly. It looks like installing that ELT will be just a matter of installing the bracket with four nuts and bolts. No bracket fabrication required at all.

ELT and Magnetometer

I was curious exactly how the ELT would mount on the aft deck, so I checked it out last night. Centered on the front of the aft deck there are four screw holes in a 5.5"x2" pattern. This matches the Ack ELT mounting bracket hole pattern exactly. It looks like installing that ELT will be just a matter of installing the bracket with four nuts and bolts. No bracket fabrication required at all.

Does anyone know the expected location of the magnetometer? The drawing for the Aft deck is on page 10-27.

Back