What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flox on wheelpant fairing tabs

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I?m at the step where I?m to mix some me flox and put it between the main wheel fairing and fairing tab. Tape on the tab. Wax on the screw.

Do you just drill a hole through the tape after is on?
How do you keep flox out of the hole? Seems the screw would drag it up into the tab hole and nutplate.

Reads like it?s simple but I?d prefer to not epoxy my pants permanently.

Lather your screw in Boelube before you screw it in (you can puncture the tape before you apply the screw). It will unscrew later with no trouble.

Buy some parting wax, you can put some on the screws and in the nutplate holes and the epoxy will never stick to them. You can use the wax in a lot of places in the wheel pant section like when you fit the cuffs to the fuselage and to the wheel pant sides.

Vaseline also works to keep from gluing the crew in place.

I also put flox on the inside of the wheel pants to form a "cup" or "key" around the metal supports, so it won't twist for and aft. Long term, this helps prevent the the wheel pants from moving and wallowing out the screw holes.

A tub of car wax works well, too. Stick the screw in the wax and nothing will stick to it! :)

Just make sure the wax you use does not have silicone in it. If it does, you might have a challenge painting your plane later on.

for the main and nose fairings are they all floxed in assembly on the plane or is it just as good to do the flox with the mounting tabs off the plane and on the bench? On the bench would be a lot easier.

Back