- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2015, 07:30 AM

Default Hangar Concrete Floor Problem

Hey - we are just a few weeks out from moving into a new home at the airpark in Pecan Plantation. However, we have run into a minor snag with the hangar that we are having built. In the pic below, you can see that the concrete floor rises as you move to the left... it looks like for whatever reason the last 10 feet or so is 3/4" higher than the rest of the floor. The rest of the floor to the right (which you can't see in the pic) looks to be level, as the gap appears consistent.

We are working with the contractor to figure out a solution, but they are coming up blank, so I figured I'd turn the the VAF experts. Is there anyway to grind down the last 10' or so by the required 3/4" to get things back to level?

If not, what is the least bad approach to fix this? Jack hammer it out down to 6" and repour?... entirely cut out that section and repour?

Thanks,
Jason

Old 12-14-2015, 07:55 AM

i really don't get it. just move in. 3/4 inch?
Stuart, Fl / S WINDSOR,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
RV HOTEL LOCATION oct thru may.
Pain Free by Pete Egoscue= your answer to all your aches and pains. 'suffering is optional"
addicted pickle ball player
Old 12-14-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
i really don't get it. just move in. 3/4 inch?
The contractor is worried about the door sealing/ operating well with 10' out of 44' being 3/4" higher than the remaining span.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:08 AM

Default Grind and polish while you are at it.

There are grinders that do just what you need. You may need to call a concrete finishing company. They can grind that area down and feather it into the original - then if you want to drop more $$$ - have them polish the entire surface - just like they do at the big box stores. Looks great and no slip hazard.
2018 =VAF= donor
Old 12-14-2015, 08:24 AM

Are you sure that the foundation is level? Double check framing plate heights and double check door dims too. Its amazing what a 1/4" difference here and there makes during construction. Just something else to cross check with.
Pazmany PL-1 N2029 (bought & sold)
RV7 - N537TC (reserved & building)
Emp, Wings & Fuse done - working on FWF

"The air is an extremely dangerous, jealous and exacting mistress. Once under the spell most lovers are faithful to the end, which is not always old age." - Winston Churchill
Old 12-14-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS19087 View Post
There are grinders that do just what you need. You may need to call a concrete finishing company. They can grind that area down and feather it into the original - then if you want to drop more $$$ - have them polish the entire surface - just like they do at the big box stores. Looks great and no slip hazard.
+1

get a concrete contractor to polish/grind that down. http://www.csda.org/

Also, check to make sure your door is level and vs the concrete being out of level.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:47 AM

Default Door Seal

You may want to check with the door manufacture and find out what tolerance their door seals have. If you have a bi-fold door the frame probably won't be in contact with the concrete, just a big wide rubber gasket.
N70JT Reserved
Old 12-14-2015, 09:32 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Having built an airpark hangar and home fairly recently, I would suggest that you don't have a problem - your contractor has a problem, unless you've already bought off on the job "as is". We ran into a few of those snags during our build, when our contractor wanted to make it my problem, and I simply pointed out that until I bought off on the final build, it was up to him to meet the specs.

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 12-14-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
Having built an airpark hangar and home fairly recently, I would suggest that you don't have a problem - your contractor has a problem, unless you've already bought off on the job "as is". We ran into a few of those snags during our build, when our contractor wanted to make it my problem, and I simply pointed out that until I bought off on the final build, it was up to him to meet the specs.

Paul
Paul - you are totally correct... the problem lies somewhere between the GC and the concrete contractor... I was just looking to see if anyone has any solutions that I have not thought of, as they appear to be having a hard time finding a contractor to grind down the unlevel concrete.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tierney View Post
You may want to check with the door manufacture and find out what tolerance their door seals have. If you have a bi-fold door the frame probably won't be in contact with the concrete, just a big wide rubber gasket.
Hey Jason I have the same question, are you sure it's not the door frame or building that's the issue. I have a couple of long levels if you need them. Call when your back out and I will come over.
Eagles Nest Mentor
EAA Tech Counselor