What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting roll bar WD-641

Mick RV7

I’m mounting the Roll Bar WD-641 on our RV-7 slider.I’ve measured as per plans from the pre punched rivet hole in the front fuselage skin then transfered line on the top of F-721B Aft Canopy Deck but on the transfered lines is different by 1/8” from the desired rivet to the opposing side.Then to drill the holes for AN4-6A and the AN3-6A the measurements are taken from a rivet on the F-721B they will be 1/8” different on the Roll Bar.I go over my measurements but reluctantly to proceed.Has anyone experience this?

Last edited:
Hi Mick,
I just did this step last week, from the prepunched rivet, measure aft 1/2" and 3 5/8". Do not measure from the 1/2" mark but also from the rivet for the 3 5/8" hole. Measure from the outside of fuselage 7/8" inward for the intersection of the front hole and 29/32 inward for the rear hole. The rear hole will also drill through the bottom flange so you can back drill later so try to keep it as perpendicular as possible. Drill holes with a #40 bit only at this point. Tweak the roll bar for 7/32" edge distance from outside the fuse edge. I had to position a ratchet strap around the bottom of my roll bar and pull at least 6" inward and release to move my bar 1/4". Get everything fitting so it is not under pressure. Clamp in place and back drill holes to match fuse. Remove and enlarge holes to -3 and -4 respectively.

Mick,
Might want to look at post "Roll bar re-install help" if you have trouble installing the nut, washer, and shim hardware for the roll bar.

Back