What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Molex Connectors

DMFenster

Well Known Member
Using the Molex connectors Stein sells. For the life of me I can't figure out which pin goes on which side of the connector. One side of the connector is male and one is female. Looks like the male side of the connector gets the female pins. Yes? Haven't tried, but it looks like the connector will go together either way.

I am installing these connector so my panel is easily removable and it's the very last thing I have to do. Man, am I glad the wiring is over...

Dave
Woodbridge, VA

Molex

If the molex has tubes, it's female and gets the female pins. The male has male pins exposed. I think. It's been quite a while.
:eek:

Molex

Yea - The "tubes" I'm calling the male side. So, the tubes/male side gets the female pins. Got it. Thanks.

I found the comment below somewhere on the web. I am not sure if it is correct, but I used this format for my wiring.

"A connector that delivers power has female pins(sockets) in a male housing; a connector that receives power has male pins in a female housing."

The Molex connectors are like many connectors. The male pins are exposed while the female sockets are protected. The sex of the housing or she'll is typically the opposite.

convention

I get the convention and the rationale for protecting the pins with voltage on them, but I believe you can mix and match pin genders to make unique plugs that cannot accidentally be mated to the wrong ones, because I've done it. Either pin type will fit either plug gender as far as I know.

-Stormy

Back