What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

aft battery in an 8

DMFenster

Well Known Member
I've read all the posts I could find, but still have one last question on the routing of the battery cable. I got it up to the gear tower. I am going to install a fuel injected engine, so I need both of the lower holes through the gear tower on the left side. What did you all do for the battery cable - - drill another hole? If so, where did you drill it and once through the back side of the gear tower, did you go all the way through or up and out one of the lightening holes prior to going forward to the firewall?

Personally, I think drilling a hole through the gear tower in its entirety, then past the fuel pump and up and through the firewall is the best routing. Thoughts?

Pictures would be a big help.

Thanks,

Dave
Northern VA
Dues paid

Dave,

you need to look at dwg OP-11 RV-8 wiring harness installation. The left side view shows the battery cable routing and detail E shows where to drill the holes in the gear tower. It is as you describe. I did not get OP-11 with my plans nor the other wiring diagrams (you only get them with the pre-made harness) but Vans will send you pdf copies if you ask.

John

You can also get all of the Plans, Construction Manual, all of the OP Drawings, and other goodies for $10 if you buy the CD Plans... ;)

Aft battery and new fuel pump

I installed the new fuel pump that Vans is sending now for fuel injection and I am installing the battery in the back. The new pump does not require the return line through the gear tower so I now have an extra hole left over. My 8 is a quickbuild delivered spring 2014. Have not checked the wiring for the battery yet but maybe this solves that issue.

Back