What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sunshield inside RV-8 bubble canopy

donaziza

Well Known Member
A couple of months ago, someone was talking about a sunshield or sun protector inside an RV 8 canopy. One of you said you found at Walmart just what you needed. And someone else talked about a high priced one at some store. ( One of those springs open-you've got to fold and collapse it things, I guess). Were you talking about just while parking and keeping the broiling heat down like if parked in Phoenix, or were you talking about something with suctin cups that sticks to the roof of the canopy while flying?

Would somebody talk about this again?

Sunshine inside RV-8

Sporty's sells a Rosen sunscreen that adheres with suction cups. You need to stick a plastic drinking straw through the holes in the suction cup handle thingies to keep it from popping off due to curvature of canopy. Works real well in very hot Hawaii sun.

WalMart Option....

I carry a pair of shades that suction cup to the inside of the canopy and stow with a twist - they have a rectangular wire frame and you do a little twist that makes them a collapsed round package. Cost just a few bucks for two of them in the local Walmart automotive section. Work fine, and you can stick them wherever you want them.

I haven't been using mine lately - have switched to a Boonie hat that stays in the airplane.

Paul

Sporty's sells a Rosen sunscreen that adheres with suction cups. You need to stick a plastic drinking straw through the holes in the suction cup handle thingies to keep it from popping off due to curvature of canopy. Works real well in very hot Hawaii sun.

What Ironflight is describing is almost identical to the Rosen shades sold at Sporty's. There are two to a pack and sell for about $4.99 compared to $14.99 for one (?) Rosen.

I bought the Wally-mart ones after seeing Iron's and am very happy with them.

Karl

White cotton with suction cups

Gladder?s Gal came with a couple nice shades made from white cotton with little suction cups sewn in. I think Dusty made them. They work great and store anywhere. You can ball one up to about the size of your fist for storage. Its light cotton, but creates plenty of shade. They are constructed in long rectangles to match the shape of the canopy. I don?t think anything else out there stores as compactly.

Back