VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Acts of Charity (using your RV)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2014, 03:55 PM

Default Turtles

I have seen these critters and can't imagine how you would get them in any RV. The Sea Turtle center at Jekyll Island, Ga has a surgery for injured turtles. I speculate most weigh about 300 pounds and are 3-4 feet long.

See http://gstc.jekyllisland.com/

This is a job for a truck or ship I would think.
Hatz Biplane
Falcon RV Squadron
KFFC Hanger D-30
Peachtree City, Ga
770 310-7169
EAA Technical Counselor #5142
EAA Flight Advisor #486336
ATP/CFI/A&P/DAR

Last edited by Vern : 11-24-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:52 AM

Cool Turtles

I just called this Leslie Weinstein about these turtles. Turns out this guy lives way out in Idaho. These Turtles are all junior guys, that have been carried in by people. They're about the size of a dinner plate and weigh 6 pounds or so. They're in "cake" boxes, Pizza boxes?? I forget---but they're very lethargic from the cold and can't get out of the boxes and start crawling up your leg. I guess one could stack 5 or 6 boxes, bind them with something besides the shoulder harness and fly. Right now, they're all up in the New England coast, and need to fly to S Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, etc. What we really need is a couple of C 130's. They expect 600 turtles by Monday. Perfect job for the Air National guard. But per Leslie, there's "politics" on this (What a surprise)

If the mass of turtles can get down south here, SC, GA FL, they would still be looking to dole them out in much smaller numbers to places here in the southeast.

If anyone's got pull with Governors and the ANG, go for it. I'm retired Continental, now United, so Monday AM, I will try giving the Chief Pilot a call out in Denver to see if they might want to throw a 767 at this. Airlines love publicity like this.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:37 PM

Cool More on Turtles

Hi Don,
Attached is information regarding the need to transport sea turtles out of the New England area. At this time there is around 400 that need to be transported south and by the end of the weekend NOAA estimates over 600. The other problem the facilities in the south are at a maximum capacity already and working to make room. Turtles are packed one to two in banana boxes and weight 4-5 pounds each turtle and are about the size of dinner plates. A flight from Boston to Orlando would work. Turtles need to be moved as soon as possible as the facilities in the north are not adequate for maintaining in the cold weather.
Regards,
Leslie

Leslie J. Weinstein
Manager & Founder
True-Lock LLC
4911 Parkwood Street
Boise, ID 83704
Phone: 208-375-4846
Cell: 208-484-7774
Email: leslie@true-lock.com
Old 11-23-2014, 05:02 AM

Wow, I saw a Leatherback in one of those videos. Good to know the turtles are small. I still hope to help. Would be a cool sticker for the side of your plane!!
Old 11-23-2014, 06:52 AM

Default Story on AvWeb

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news...t223138-1.html

Noah Forden, RV-7A

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men… for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible. -T.E. Lawrence
Old 11-24-2014, 07:49 AM

Default Swim

Why can't they swim? They make their way all the way around the globe and over 8000 of them find my beach every year.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:13 AM
paul mosher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuds2 View Post
Why can't they swim? They make their way all the way around the globe and over 8000 of them find my beach every year.
Seriously? Read the article.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:42 AM

Default Another article - this one from AOPA

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/A...Turtle-airlift

It has been a rough year for sea turtles, and general aviation is stepping up to help save hundreds of these endangered animals of various species, flying rescued turtles by the dozens from Massachusetts to facilities across the southeast and beyond.

Leslie Weinstein is organizing this improvised airlift, and noted in a Nov. 25 email that it’s a “long way from being over.” More than 500 stranded turtles have been rescued from Massachusetts beaches, and volunteers and rescue organizations quickly ran out of space to care for and rehabilitate the exhausted turtles, many of them youngsters weighing five pounds or less.

Weinstein, a member of the Development Board of the Archie Carr Center for Sea Turtle Research at the University of Florida, has many friends in general aviation—he also owns an Idaho business that makes specialized fasteners for aircraft. He has been working the phone and computer quite a lot in recent days, rounding up rides for turtles. He said Pilots N Paws has been a key ally, along with many individual pilots and aircraft operators who answered his calls.

“We need more aircraft, we need more people,” Weinstein said in a telephone interview. Facilities in the Carolinas, Florida, and Georgia (including the Georgia Sea Turtle Center on Jekyll Island) have reached capacity, and Weinstein is coordinating with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to find temporary lodging at facilities licensed to care for the endangered species farther afield—including Louisiana and Texas.

Weinstein said a combination of cold water and strong onshore winds has made this year’s migration south much more challenging, and turtles are washing ashore in much greater numbers than usual. Unusually cold water makes the turtles hypothermic, and unable to dive. Stranded on the surface, “they don’t eat,” Weinstein said. “Everything starts to shut down.”

Rescued turtles have been brought to the New England Aquarium for triage and initial care, but the turtles require rehabilitation and specialized veterinary care beyond what any single facility can offer. Some have pneumonia, and must be quarantined. Turtles are housed in banana boxes for short-term care and transportation, often two in a box. “They’ve run out of boxes,” Weinstein said.

While the Rhode Island National Guard volunteered to help, official approvals for the mission have not been forthcoming, forcing Weinstein to rely heavily on general aviation to get the turtles where they need to go.
“We’ve got a lot of pilots responding,” Weinstein said. He hopes more pilots and aircraft operators will email him (including "sea turtles" in the subject line) with offers of assistance—particularly those with larger aircraft, though he is happy to hear from anyone with wings to lend. “If they can only fit two or three boxes, four boxes… that’s fine with me,” Weinstein said.

The turtle lift will not be over any time soon. Once the rescued turtles are rehabilitated, they will need rides back to the East Coast where they can be released in the Atlantic Ocean. While the numbers may seem relatively small, sea turtles already face long odds when it comes to surviving long enough to breed. Weinstein said it may take 2,000 eggs to produce a single breeding pair, and those turtles may not be able to produce offspring for 30 or 40 years. Losing hundreds of turtles today has significant long-term implications. “You can see how critical it is to save these turtles,” Weinstein said.

Noah Forden, RV-7A

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men… for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible. -T.E. Lawrence
Old 11-28-2014, 07:00 AM
Forum Peruser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
I have seen these critters and can't imagine how you would get them in any RV. The Sea Turtle center at Jekyll Island, Ga has a surgery for injured turtles. I speculate most weigh about 300 pounds and are 3-4 feet long.

See http://gstc.jekyllisland.com/

This is a job for a truck or ship I would think.
These stranded turtles weigh two to ten pounds each. Read this article.
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/APRS Automatic Position Reporting System

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard
Old 11-28-2014, 12:40 PM

Wink Sea Turtles

That's the perfect job for a USAF C-17 or C-5...

Load it up and wham one trip south and that is it..

Make it an official mission like a Nav trainer or a loadmasters training flight..

Aren't Taxpayers owners of these aircrafts after all....

Bruno
rv4@videotron.ca