VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Acts of Charity (using your RV)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2014, 08:31 AM

Default Volunteers Needed - Sea Turtles Need Pilots

Just received this email through NAFI. I'd help if I were on the east coast but I'm freezing my tush off in the midwest.

Quote:
Endangered Sea Turtles Need Pilots, Planes

There is an immediate need to fly sea turtles that have stranded themselves on the east coast. They need to be flown to rescue facilities in the southeast. The endangered turtles are experiencing a "state of emergency" due to recent cold temperatures and strong onshore winds in the northeast. More than 150 endangered sea turtles were stranded on Cape Cod alone, and many are suffering from hypothermia.

The non-profit New England Aquarium is working to stabilize as many sea turtles as possible but lacks resources to house this unprecedented number. There is immediate need to fly sea turtles to other facilities, including the Georgia Sea Turtle Center, the South Carolina Aquarium, and to other facilities in Florida and North Carolina.

We are appealing to all pilots and aircraft owners for help. If you are able to help with this transport please contact me. I am a member of the Archie Carr Center for Sea Turtle Research through the University of Florida Development Board. I am also the owner of True-Lock LLC. As an aviation company, this is one of our programs showcasing the importance of general aviation to communities.

Please contact me by phone or email if you can help. And my thanks to NAFI for spreading this message to its members, and to the aviation community.

Leslie J. Weinstein
208-375-4846
Leslie@True-Lock.com
Old 11-21-2014, 10:10 AM

I sent an email. It's going to be a LOT of turtles!!
Old 11-21-2014, 10:51 AM

Question How does it work?

Before sending any emails I have a dumb question I can only ask here. How this charity act works? Is it possible for a group of people just to pool gas money, pick up a turtle or three and fly to Georgia or elsewhere? Or there is a certain red tape involved? I hate red tape my peasized brain couldn't comprehend all the complicacy of irs deduction/non profit thing... The only thing I know I have an RV in great physical shape and I have a free weekend coming.
Appreciate any insight before I contact the above mentioned person.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:56 AM

Vlad,
If you want to pay for gas and don't expect to be reimbursed for the expense than there would be no red tape.
I have sent the email and received a response that they did not have details yet. If they have a flight further North than I care to go I will give you a ring Vlad. I can handle the South end.
Catto three blade prop
http://www.mykitlog.com/MarkW
Old 11-21-2014, 11:57 AM

Vlad, sounds like a mission for the Flash Mob Squadron. Let's talk offline about plans, wx looks good this weekend. Folks, this is a ripe opportunity for aviation "feel good" stories in the media spotlighting the benefit of GA. What is the pickup airport? I might be interested in a "Northern Half" mission. Any volunteers available for "Southern Half" missions? Halfway meeting points? VA? DE?

Noah Forden, RV-7A

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous menů for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible. -T.E. Lawrence
Old 11-21-2014, 12:07 PM

I would like to help shuttle some of the little guys.
This Saturday looks good but Sunday is going to be ugly.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 11-21-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post
Vlad, sounds like a mission for the Flash Mob Squadron. Let's talk offline about plans, wx looks good this weekend. Folks, this is a ripe opportunity for aviation "feel good" stories in the media spotlighting the benefit of GA. What is the pickup airport? I might be interested in a "Northern Half" mission. Any volunteers available for "Southern Half" missions? Halfway meeting points? VA? DE?
I live about 20 min N of the Georgia Sea Turtle Center at Jekyll Island - assuming that is a drop off location. I'm down for a southern half, but Bill's right - Sunday 100% change of heavy TS.

Build: http://hhav8or.blogspot.com/
Old 11-21-2014, 01:47 PM

Default Size it up

Another dumb question - are these young and how big and heavy are these guys? How many will fit in a 6/7/9 baggage compartment in a container?

AO
Old 11-21-2014, 03:42 PM

Default Number Of Turtles Stranded On Cape Cod 'Off The Charts'

http://wgbhnews.org/post/number-turt...ape-cod-charts

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/11/2...e-cod-beaches/

http://www.capecod.com/uncategorized...-cape-beaches/

http://www.neaq.org/animals_and_exhi...rtle/index.php

Noah Forden, RV-7A

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous menů for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible. -T.E. Lawrence
Old 11-21-2014, 03:48 PM

Who said we wanted them in Georgia?