VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Acts of Charity (using your RV)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2014, 04:20 AM

Don't get me wrong, P&P's is a good thing. It is just that having that, YE, and all the inbound traffic combined was too much.

That must be the reason why they don't have YE flights during OSH.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 09-29-2014, 04:52 AM

Some have asked how I mount the Garmin Virb Elite on the wing tip.

I purchased the base and the mount from "PlaneAround" http://planearound.com/ -- they have mounts and bases for both GoPro and the Virb.

I had a GoPro before my Virb Elite, so I use the GoPro mount with the adapter that comes with the Virb when you buy it.

Since the Virb Elite has built in GPS and WiFi, I can turn the recording on and off from my iPad in the cockpit while in flight.

You can also mount it under the wing at the tie-down...

Last edited by Arlen : 09-29-2014 at 04:54 AM. Reason: tie-down comment added
Old 09-29-2014, 06:39 AM

Default Happy Monday!

Thanks for posting Arlen, great way to start a Monday morning at work!
2017 =VAF= donor
Old 09-29-2014, 08:21 AM

Default To keep you out of trouble...

I have been told by "a knowledgeable source" that if you hang a camera on your plane, you have to sign it into Phase I, test fly the plane w/the external cameras installed, and then sign it back into Phase II.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 09-29-2014, 09:33 AM

Default Good, Good Day

Arlen: It does me so much good to see you participating in such worthwhile purposes, and using your plane so well. Just great accomplishment. Keep up the good work.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclark View Post
Arlen: It does me so much good to see you participating in such worthwhile purposes, and using your plane so well. Just great accomplishment. Keep up the good work.
Giles,
It is wonderful to own and be entrusted to use this (your) plane; I enjoy it immensely. Thanks again for building it sooooo wonderfully.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:51 AM

Default How many

Arlen

You can probably answer a question that has been in my mind for a long time. How many and what size kennels can you fit in a RV6? What combination of kennels do you prefer?

I have been thinking about P&P, I have signed up but not taken the leap yet. I do not want to commit and then not be able to fit the kennel or kennel's in the plane.
EAA - 577486
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE - THANK THE AMERICAN SOLDIER FOR YOURS!
Old 09-29-2014, 09:51 AM

Default Awesome!

Thanks Arlen! That's a great thing you did for the pup and a cool camera mount too!
Old 09-29-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N64GH View Post
Arlen

You can probably answer a question that has been in my mind for a long time. How many and what size kennels can you fit in a RV6? What combination of kennels do you prefer?

I have been thinking about P&P, I have signed up but not taken the leap yet. I do not want to commit and then not be able to fit the kennel or kennel's in the plane.
Mike,

Do it! It's great fun. And, the fuel cost is deductible (they're a 501(c)(3) ).

For crates, I use one of these 24" collapsible wire crates on the floor behind the seat: http://www.chewy.com/dog/midwest-lif...EBRhoCq47w_wcB

and I also have a couple small plastic crates provided by PnP that I can sit on top of the wire crate or put one on the right seat.

And, of course, little "China" wasn't in a crate at all for our flight.

I've probably transported 50 dogs over the past 5 years, and every one of them gets calm and goes to sleep after the engine starts.

Last edited by Arlen : 09-29-2014 at 10:05 AM. Reason: 24
Old 09-29-2014, 10:09 AM

Default Dude really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
The Greenville EAA chapter was giving Young Eagle rides during the Aviation Expo.

For some unknown reason all the Pilots & Paws left with IFR clearances.

This meant that while all those pilots were lined up trying to give dogs rides, we were on the other side of the runway trying to give kids YE rides.

Imagine if you will, 49 airplanes trying to depart at one time from a single strip Class Delta airport IFR at the same time. They were backup 10+ deep waiting for their clearances.

Those of us trying to give over 60 Young Eagle rides were stuck on the other side of the runway sweltering with the kids, trying to introduce them to aviation. I'm afraid all they were introduced to were hot cockpits and overworked controllers, who weren't used to such traffic. (I sat, first in line at Bravo 1, for over 15 minutes waiting to get off, and that was my shortest wait.)

Next year, if P&P's are there, the YE pilots probably won't be. To much delay, cooking engines and kids.

Had the Pilots & Paws departed VFR and picked up their clearances in the air (It was a beautiful VFR day), things would have gone MUCH better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
I have been told by "a knowledgeable source" that if you hang a camera on your plane, you have to sign it into Phase I, test fly the plane w/the external cameras installed, and then sign it back into Phase II.
Dude, a cute story like this and these are the thoughts that come to your mind? This is a cute uplifting story and should be taken as such. A little less "mental" and a little more "Walter Mitty" or youthful enthusiasm might be in order from time to time.

I am sure two worthy activities like P&P and Young Eagles can fly from the same airport at the same time. Try something novel like I don't know talking to each other. That might be a good start. I guarantee if those kids could see the rescue dogs being saved they would not mind the wait and would probably want to help!

Sorry to pounce but somethings are just meant to be fun and enjoyed. Like a cute little dog sitting on your shoulders enjoying his/her flight to freedom and a happy life
EAA - 577486
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE - THANK THE AMERICAN SOLDIER FOR YOURS!