VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-14-2013, 10:28 PM

Default Haiti General Aviation?

I notice that the Dominican Republic is doing a lot to support general aviation in the form of no government fees but I cant find anything on Haiti.

Does anyone here know if it can be done? or would it be better to just land in the DR and drive over into Haiti?

Thanks
Fisher Classic Cassler Power VW
RV-8 700+hrs
SERFI AWARDS

http://weaselrv10.blogspot.com/
Old 04-23-2013, 11:20 AM
Forum Peruser

I can't answer your question specifically. I have a friend who is involved in Mission work in Haiti with a group based here in the States. Based on conversations with him relative to the current economic conditions in the country, I'm not sure general aviation, especially for foreign visiting pilots, even exists in Haiti, Wikipedia lists 17 airstrips within the country. I would assume they are mostly used by missionaries or medical personnel. Next time I see him, I'll ask him, although he is not a pilot.

Personally, there are some countries that I would like to visit, but I don't think I'd want to park my airplane in some of them for fear of theft or other mayhem.

I think your idea of landing in DR and then driving into Haiti might be the better idea.
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/APRS Automatic Position Reporting System

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Last edited by rv7boy : 04-23-2013 at 12:59 PM. Reason: added some words
Old 04-23-2013, 02:30 PM

Default Been to PaP in my -10

Flew a humanitarian mission in my RV-10 from Ft. Lauderdale Exec non-stop to Port-au-Prince. There was some paperwork needed in advance; we got a lot of help from Bahamas Habitat who flies to many of those 17 airports regularly.

http://www.findmespot.com/spotadvent...?tripid=235545

Last edited by 10builder : 04-23-2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: correcting bad grammar :-)