What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Horz Stabilizer Storage

FlyBoy8

Is this an acceptable storage method for the horz stabilizer? it will probably be a least 2 years before it is needed.

IMG_0345.jpg

Looks pretty close to the way I hung my HS on the garage wall. However, I hung my opposite yours so it was suspended by the front spar. I also put a piece of 1x4 wood on the top and bottom of the HS spar and clamped them and the two hangars together.

Clear skies!

Last edited:
Storage

Probably fine but I would add a strap around the forward spar as well so the rear isn't carrying all the weight in one spot.
I have mine hanging crom two web straps around the niddle of each side.

Can a gust of wind knock it around?

Any chance that someone will lean something against it?

How about dust - does it need protection against that?

Dave

After two years in storage it might come out cleaner with a garbage bag over either end.

After two years in storage it might come out cleaner with a garbage bag over either end.

Are you insinuating that my work is garbage? :p
Just joking, its a step or 2 above garbage, but improving, although I still haven't got the balls to start on the wing kit yet.
I'm still getting ready to get ready!

Another good tip. Thanks Mark.

Think ahead..there will be more parts soon

When I built my -4, I realized quickly, there are 2 stabilizers, 2 elevators, a rudder, 2 ailerons, and 2 flaps. I made a rack I copied from my old RC model wing storage system using vertical 2x4s screwed to wall and horizontal 2x2s screwed to the 2x4s that stored them horizontal and flat with minimum space between. I know it takes up more room, but if your going to keep building, it will fill up and you will be glad you have it. I don't have any pics handy, but its easy to figure out.

Back