What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question regarding wheel pants

skyking902001

Well Known Member
I am working on wheel pants on my RV-8 and have a question. Drawing 45 shows the distance from the aft edge of the forward half of the wheel pant to the center of the screw holes as 1/8". The drawing also indicates #6 screws to secure the two halves together. It seems to me that 1/8" would place a #6 screw very close to the edge of the fiberglass. What am I not seeing here?:confused: Thanks in advance.

Long time ago

It has been a long time now that we did this one, and I do not have the drawing in front of me. Here is what I think we did. Put the # 6 holes in the center of the overlap boss area. Yes they are # 6 and it will not hurt to move them in off that edge more to the center of that overlap are. We counter sunk the outer shell and put the S.S. C.S. washers behind the 100* screws. The screws that hold the pant to the brackets are #8 and should get the same C.S. washers. Hope this is what you are asking about and just what we did. I don't know why you drawing would show 1/8" edge distance but that is not enough.
Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Robert, thanks for the reply. I did some further research and found the recommended edge distance for composite material is 2.5 times hole diameter which works out to .36". I measured and drilled the hole at .5" which is approximately in the center of the overlap area. Still puzzled over the drawing showing 1/8".

I've opted to use #8 c/s screws & tinnerman washers on many of my later wheel pant installations. Those #6 screw heads are a real pain after being removed a few times during maintenance cycles.

Back