What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowling fit question

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
I am doing the final fit up on the firewall end of a James cowl and wondered how much clearance is good. I have the thickness of a business card now. Is that enough? Thanks in advance!

I just finished mine a week or so ago with about the same gap after shimming and hinge attachment. I was hoping for less gap, to be honest.

Swing by Ridgeland, SC and have a look.

I am doing the final fit up on the firewall end of a James cowl and wondered how much clearance is good. I have the thickness of a business card now. Is that enough? Thanks in advance!

Depending on how much primer and paint you add, a business card isn't a bad gap. I think I used a hacksaw blade as my reference.

More gap

In my experience that is too thin a gap. Fold a piece of 80 grit paper over on itself and run that down the gap. If the gap is too small you will chip the paint when you take the cowl on and off. More is better in this case

Gary Specketer

I talked to one of the guys at GloCustom paint a few days ago--he said to use a credit card as a gap reference.

Back