What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Map lights

laz

Well Known Member
I am working on my Panel for my RV8. It is esentally a Garmin 10" g3x and a GRT mini X for a backup. with a radio stack on the left. I need some help/advise on a couple of areas.

1. I am using the led swivel map light from Steinair. Several installations I have seen mount them on the top of the cover on either side that extends from the top of the spar to the top side of the cockpit over the spar area. It has a 45 deg. slant at the top and makes a good place to mount the LED map lights.

The problem is that this panel is pop riveted in place so if you mount anything on it and something comes loose or needs to be changed you would have to drill out all those rivets to get behind. I have seen all kinds of stuff like Audio jacks etc mounted there. Its there something I am missing? these are not just a few divest I think there are about 40 per side and almost too close together for nutplates which I cannot see doing.

2. I am using a Stein air vent on the left side of the panel mounted on the sub panel. Does this seem to work well for ventilation?

3.What is a good location for Headphone and Mic jacks?

Any comments or ideas are appreciated.

LAZ,

I mounted 2 large "Stein" air vents in the side panels as you discribed.

I did this because I also installed an extra NACA scoop in the right side fuselage, so each vent has its own "Stein Vent".

I build in NY and have since relocated to FL and am very happy with the airflow.

As for the mic & phone jacks. I mounted them in the "upper right" aft-side of where the cover attaches. I cut the top "angled" part off and nut plated it back on to allow access should I need to fix my "Phone & Mic" jack or Bose LEMO plug that are all mounted inside.

I would think you can also mount that map light on that 45 degree panel.

Back