What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help needed cutting RV-8 rear stick - how much did you cut off for Infinity grip?

meloosifah

Well Known Member
Hey guys,

I am installing Infinity sticks in my -8. I have the front one cut down but was wondering how much you cut off the rear stick? The plane is not rigged so I don't know how much travel I need - the Infinity has a forward cant to it and hits the front seat... I would really like to get the stick wired now.

So how much length did you remove?

Thanks!

Cutting rear stick

I have a Tosten. Shortened rear stick until the grip just missed rubbing the back of the front seat. Rear stick short enough to give a significant force advantage to the front seater, probably a good thing.

The problem is that without it being rigged, it will always hit the rear seat. There are no stops. I really am hoping someone has installed an Infinity and could give me a measurement.

Thanks!

I also have a Tosten in the front and went to an Allen grip in the rear because of this issue. The Allen grip is straight as opposed to the Tosten being canted forward. This allowed more rear stick height to be retained in the rear seat.

What I have found...

Sorry, my grips are straight but I wired my rear stick with a mini jack and pigtail that slips inside the stick. Then I could remove the stick when I have the dog or other non-pilot types back there. This would allow you to cut the stick later I believe by just pushing the pigtail down, then cut. As long as you don't mind a little shavings to clean up.

Most of the time less is better back there IMHO.

I cut my rear stick after rigging. It measures 11 3/8" from the pivot to the top of the Infinity grip.

Rear%20Stick%20Length_zpswqtov0be.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I don't have the dimensions offhand, but used a bent stick in the rear to get clearance from the front seat for an infinity grip.

Even with a fairly short throw and the bent stick it's still very tight in both directions. When the stick is full forward the grip barely clears the back of the front seat (which flexes somewhat when someone is in the seat vs. fitting the stick when its empty). When the stick is full aft it will hit the harness buckle if the back seat passenger has any sort of gut...

If I were doing it again I'd just use a simple grip in the rear seat and not spend all the effort to get the infinity grip. My stick is easily removed (wires are all on a connector), I plan to make an alternate rear stick with a simple grip for those times I have a large passenger that I want to be able to manipulate the controls.

Back