What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-804-L Bag 825-2 Bulkhead parts?

Captain_John

Well Known Member
Hey All,

I am just going through my leftover wing stuff and wondering when I will install this stuf and where it's all gonna go when I came across this bag #825-2.

Inside it I found some "F" parts (F-804-L, Quantity 2), some AL strips and some AL tubing.

For the life of me, I cannot find where this stuff is supposed to go.

Can anyone help me?

What do these parts do?

:confused: CJ

TTT

Anyone?

I still haven't found the part on the plans.

Is it a Fuse part or a Flap part? If it were fuse, why does it come in the wing kit?

If it is a Flap part, why isn't it marked with an "FL" number?

Anyone?

Still confused.

:confused: CJ

Spare Parts

I just checked the Van's parts list excel spreadsheet for the RV7/7A and no F-804 is listed. So maybe someone dropped a bag of parts in your box that was supposed to go somewhere else :eek:

Oh Yeah...

So what are THESE!?!

:D

PA020173.JPG

:) CJ

Hey CJ, FWIW Van's webiste says the F-804L are the seatbelt attach lugs. I think I had those parts in my wing kit also. Could have been in the fuse kit but I remember seeing the parts.

Hmmmm,

That is what Wicked Stick said too. He had no solid data, just seemed to recall it being something like that.

Looks like I will set them aside for the time being!

Thanks John!

:) CJ

CJ-
I don't think there was anything like that in my fuselage kit nor left over from my wing kit on my -9. The tubing could be used for bushings in the bellcranks, but I assume you've already found that material. Also, if you check the master parts list in your manual and don't see F-804, I assume you got free, but unnecessary parts designed for the -8. They are NOT the seatbelt anchor brackets that attach to the longerons though if the -7 uses anything like that for the -9.

I bet your worried you going to be wonder about those pieces for the rest of your life, aren't you?! 10,000 feet up: "Hmmm... , I wonder what those parts were for?" :eek: Good luck.

If you look on the master list of parts on Van's web site you will see that they are parts for the seat belts. The tubing will be cut up to make spacers to go in the large holes in the seat belts to they can swivel. The large pieces are used to make the crotch strap hold down hard points.

Ahhh, cool...

I suppose that when it comes time to install them, I will forget this conversation ever happened!

The pieces will be sitting on my shelf for eternity and I will probably use them for paint scrapers!

:D

Thanks guys!

;) CJ

I've got an extra bag of hardware sitting on my workbench (different than yours). Can't find it on any of the inventory sheets. I figure I'll eventually figure out what it's for. Or maybe not. There's no doubt there will be lots of left over parts in the end. As long as she flies, those extra parts can't be too important. :cool:

I think the aluminum tubing is the spacers for the center spar section, but I may be wrong since I don't remember for sure. Not sure about the other parts.

CJ,

What will happen when you are building the fuselage is this. When you need those parts, you will look all over the place, and you won't find them. Then you will look on the fuselage parts list, and you won't find them. So, you will assume that the parts are made from stock, and you will cut them from a piece of .063 that you have under your bench (table, shelf, whatever). Later, you will find the bag stuffed in the back of your parts drawer, and say, hey, I wish I had remembered that Van sent them to me with the wing. Oh, well.

Van and his tech writer both have a sense of humor. Kind of like when the plans say a part needs to be cut to 69 27/32".

Cheers,
Tracy.

Extra parts

CJ,

Actually, those parts are left over from the first RV kit. Once the plane was completed, the builder didn't know what to do with them, so he sent them back to Van's. Naturally, they put them in the next kit to go out. When that builder finished, he sent the left over parts back to Van's; and so on, and so on...

Seriously, I believe the reason those parts are shipped with the wing is because they go with the spar carry-through bulkhead. At least on the '8 kit, there is a stack of parts associated with the spar bulkhead which will be set aside until you work on the fuselage.

Pat

CJ,

The triangular shaped pieces are for fabrication of the crotch strap attach part for the front seat of an RV-8, so I doubt you will need those. Also, two of the tubes are the spacers for the bolts that attach the crotch strap through the center spar section. (so you might not need those either)

Not sure if the tubing or triangular parts are used for the 7 though.
Store them away for now, and if you never need them you can give them to another 8 builder if he screws them up

I too have a list of similar parts that never were used. as for the parts we are supposed to fabricate from bar stock, angle, sheet, etc. would it be too hard for van's to lable the stock... in most cases, they take the time to cut a piece of sheet or tube to almost the right size, but if you can't figure out which little piece needs to be refined you just end up making it from a big sheet of aluminum and then you are left with all these little odds and ends from the factory...

my thoughts... stock material should have a part number or ID of some sort to reduce confusion and build time.

Back