What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12iS fuel pump access hatch

Has any of the RV-12iS owners considered adding an access hatch to reach the fuel pump assembly behind the cabin-tail bulkhead?

I was thinking of adding one to the pilot side of the fuselage, right next (a little aft) to the fuel pump assembly. This will make it much easier to service the electric pumps, filters, pressure sensor, shutdown valve and the gas-collator.

These electric pumps are so critical (already have 2+ recent Service Bulletins) they need an easier access than trying to reach via the bulkhead, at least I can't see me, (6-2 ft, 210 lbs, and OLD) attempting this exercise. Maybe in the original RV-12, with the fuel tank to one side this was more feasible, not on the RV-12iS,

My idea only affects the side skin of the fuselage, no heavy portions affected. Using a reinforced hatch like this one:
http://experimentalaccessories.com/store/p23/3.5"_x_7.25"_Oval_Access_Kit.html#/

(experimentalaccessories dot com)

Any concerns, regarding integrity of the tail? Other suggestions?

Much appreciated!

Last edited:
I added an access panel just aft of the baggage bulkhead on my RV-12 to access the batteries and fuel pumps I have mounted in the tailcone. I asked Van's for their advice and was directed to look at AC_43.13-1B for repair patches in sheet metal structures. Figure 4-16 in the AC is good place to start for material specs and rivet patterns. The instructions for Van's OP-43 access panels may be worth looking at for some design hints. I made mine is big enough to get the battery in and out, however working on almost anything is a one-hand effort if you have to reach in very far.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

I am not building my own RV-12, but if I were, I would not put a big access cover an one of the skins right behind the baggage bulkhead.
When the aircraft was being designed it was fully understood what the size of the fuel pump pack was and how often it might need to be accessed, yet the decision was made to add the small access that is currently in the design.

If you are building it that means it is an experimental aircraft and you can do what you want, but if you do modify this area you should plan on it being certified as an Experimental Amateur Built.

You can also build exactly to plan, get your plane's air worthiness certificate as E-LSA, and then make the experimental modification after it has been certified E-LSA. It would then still maintain the E-LSA status.

My 12 is not a 12is. I put access plates on the side near the tail for counter balance access, one under each control column for linkage access and one on each side of the elevator cable wear block after it was licensed ELSA. I riveted doubler rings around each 4? diameter hole with 6 nut plates on each to secure the cover plate. 962 hrs time in service with no issues.

Back