VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-28-2017, 02:16 PM

Default Fuel Float issue...

Ugh, I just went to install the fuel float and noticed it would be at an angle of like 30 degrees when the holes line up with the access plate. I believe the access plate is installed correctly. Fuel bung on the top side of center.

Looks like installing the float upside down would make it parallel. What the...?

Anyone see the issue? In the one picture you can see how much of an angle it would be required to be at to line up with the plate nuts.

https://ibb.co/cbq3vb

https://ibb.co/mJcSMG

Last edited by amaris : 09-28-2017 at 02:20 PM. Reason: pictures
Old 09-28-2017, 03:01 PM

Not sure what happened there. Maybe you assembled the plate in reverse and/or upside down. The easiest fix now may be to carefully drill new holes in the sender's steel plate to make the correct orientation. The new holes should fall approximately half way between the existing holes so you shouldn't have any trouble with distance between holes.

Bevan
Precision F.I. with AP purge valve
Vinyl Wrapped Exterior
Grand Rapids EFIS
Located in western Canada

Last edited by Bevan : 09-28-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevan View Post
Not sure what happened there. Maybe you built the plate in reverse and/or upside down. The easiest fix may be to carefully drill new holes in the sender's steel plate to make the correct orientation.

Bevan
I should mention I am trying to install 385C sending unit on the right tank. The 385B is on the left already (and I don't remember it being not correct)
Old 09-28-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaris View Post
I should mention I am trying to install 385C sending unit on the right tank. The 385B is on the left already (and I don't remember it being not correct)
My first thought was that you got the left one and are trying to install it on the right tank.
Don't ask me how I know!

Have you electrically tested the one that is installed? They will fit in the plate upside down, but will show "full" when the tank is empty. Again: Don't ask me how I know!
Pete Hunt, [San Diego] VAF #1069
RV-6, RV-6A, T-6G
ATP, CFII, A&P

2017 Donation+ Sent

Last edited by PCHunt : 09-28-2017 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Add last sentence
Old 09-29-2017, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCHunt View Post
My first thought was that you got the left one and are trying to install it on the right tank.
Don't ask me how I know!

Have you electrically tested the one that is installed? They will fit in the plate upside down, but will show "full" when the tank is empty. Again: Don't ask me how I know!
I thought for sure I had installed the wrong one but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm going to pull the left one out to verify it's correct since I won't be able to get this out of my head until I know for sure that it's not off angle.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:10 PM

Okay, so per Sterling, it's okay, that's how it's supposed to be. The left thank has the face of the mechanism facing aft and the right tank would face forward.

Case solved. Thankfully it wasn't anything I did that would require re-doing!