VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM

Default Carburetor Gaskets

Should a gasket be located between the carburetor bottom and the air cleaner box?

Thanks,

Steven
727tt
Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM

Default Gasket

Short answer is yes.

An air leak there would not affect mixture...
An air leak there would allow unflitered air in.......
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB
Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM

This comes up from time to time and you will get varying answers if you search including Vanís standard respsonse of ďitís not necessaryĒ. This is why they have historically never supplied one and donít sell one unless they have changed their mind recently.
Many of us donít use a gasket between the airbox and carb or servo. It canít hurt, but there is little value to using one in my opinion. My opinion is always subject to change however.
Whatever you do, do not use any type of paste or other sealant. If you feel you must seal this joint, most definitely use only a gasket made of suitable material.

In flight, ram air is going to overcome any kind of leak here. I would be curious to see if at idle, air can get sucked in. To find out, you could do an ether or stater fluid check, but I am not that brave!

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM

Default Thermal Insulation

I was having trouble with my carburetor getting too hot in warm weather and causing my engine to die at idle - usually on the runway just about to take off. After about a year of floundering around, I solved the problem by adding a 1/16" phenolic "gasket" between the sump and the carb, sandwiched on either side with a soft gasket from AutoZone. Problem solved.
Old Today, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopercod View Post
I was having trouble with my carburetor getting too hot in warm weather and causing my engine to die at idle - usually on the runway just about to take off. After about a year of floundering around, I solved the problem by adding a 1/16" phenolic "gasket" between the sump and the carb, sandwiched on either side with a soft gasket from AutoZone. Problem solved.
This was a common problem in my hot rod days. Adding a plate to thermally isolate the carb to the manifold was mandatory or there would be carb problems. They came as aluminum plates and phenolic spacers. And they worked.