Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-18-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylor View Post
The "OBS" button on the 430W is not for tuning the OBS on the NAV radio and it is disabled in VLOC mode. The 430W OBS button is used for selecting a bearing to a GPS way point.

There is a CDI display available on one of the 430 pages but it's really redundant to the CDI available on the GRT.

Skylor
The above is correct. Just about the only real use of the OBS button on the 430 is to keep the gps from advancing to the next waypoint, when in a hold.
Your method of setting the OBS on the SL30 works. However, many (I mean me!) find it more convenient to directly control the OBS setting from the GRT HSI (on my Hx I usually split the page, PFD/HSI). To do it this way, you need two way RS232 communication hooked up, and the SL30 has to have a different OBS option selected in its setup -I think ‘electronic pfd’ or something, I don’t have it here. Another plus: if you put the standby VOR into monitor mode, it will be displayed on the HSI as an RMI (bearing pointer) needle. Great for cross fixes.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:02 PM

I forgot the original question: with your Garmin in vloc mode, the vor obs is set from the GRT HSI, same as I descrbed above for the SL30.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
The above is correct. Just about the only real use of the OBS button on the 430 is to keep the gps from advancing to the next waypoint, when in a hold.
Your method of setting the OBS on the SL30 works. However, many (I mean me!) find it more convenient to directly control the OBS setting from the GRT HSI (on my Hx I usually split the page, PFD/HSI). To do it this way, you need two way RS232 communication hooked up, and the SL30 has to have a different OBS option selected in its setup -I think ‘electronic pfd’ or something, I don’t have it here. Another plus: if you put the standby VOR into monitor mode, it will be displayed on the HSI as an RMI (bearing pointer) needle. Great for cross fixes.
Actually I find the OBS button to be quite useful at times. It essentially allows you to create a radial to the waypoint in your flight plan...useful if you need to fly an intercept to a specific heading to that way point. You can use the OBS, set the radial, then hit the OBS again the select Cancel OBS. This leaves a "magenta line" at the desired bearing to the waypoint.

Skylor
Old 06-19-2018, 07:56 AM

Thanks for the info!
I'll try this next time I fly - it may already be set up correctly to work!