Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-15-2011, 12:13 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Default GRT EFIS Survival Tips

A famously skilled RV pilot has just asked to borrow your airplane. There are no issues with insurance, and you have no reservations whatsoever about giving him the controls. Yet, you are slightly worried because – alas – he has never operated the type of Glass Cockpit equipment you have installed. Afraid that he might run in to one of those little “traps” that all complex software systems exhibit to the uninitiated, you take a few moments to brief him on the top ten “tricks” you have learned that make flying with your personal EFIS easy and stress-free. We all learn short-cuts and signatures that help us more than the structured manuals ever could - now it is time to share those tips with the rest of the world!

If you have more than a few hours behind the GRT EFIS, how about listing a few of the items you’d share with the finest pilot you’ve ever met if he (or she) was going to fly your plane.

Here are a few to get started:

1) If you get lost in the pop-up menus, go “hand’s off” for ten seconds, the button labels will go away, and you can start over from a “clean” display.

2) Pushing both knobs simultaneously will sync the heading bug to the current heading instantly.

3) If you want to avoid altitude alerts when flying locally, just crank the altitude pre-select up to 15,000’ or so before take-off.

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 07-15-2011, 01:10 PM

4) Emphasize the first three buttons from the left and which screen each one takes you to.

5) Right knob for Baro, left knob for heading. If you really want to get advanced, show what pops up when each is pushed.

6) Tell them not to put their dirty fingers on the screen!
Current Project - RV8 Hot Rod
Currently Flying - RV8
RV4 - FAST & FUN! 0320 GRT IFR Panel - Sold to another Very Lucky Guy
RV-7A Built, Flown, then Sold to a Very Lucky Guy
Old 07-15-2011, 03:56 PM

4a) There are several versions of each of the PFD, MAP and Engine pages. Fast taps will cycle you back around.

7) The GRT controls the nav stream to the autopilot. Make sure they can get to and select the source and also select heading or Enav mode.

8) The PFD displays magnetic heading, the map screen displays GPS track.

9) They need to know how to acknowledge/inhibit messages and alarms.
Contribution in for 2017, money well spent
Old 07-15-2011, 04:09 PM

Not completely accurate, it is all depends on how it is configured. My PFD displys track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFear View Post
4a)
8) The PFD displays magnetic heading, the map screen displays GPS track.

9) They need to know how to acknowledge/inhibit messages and alarms.

- For some of my friends, AOA seem to generate most question and concern, specially that is not always showing and at times comes on.

- If A/P is going to be used, difference between ENAV/GNAV may need some discussion.

- Split screen would be a good topic depending on configuration and number of screens.

- Color coding (along the altimeter tape, airspeed) and just the back ground could deserve some discussion and orination

- Flight path marker on PFD and the Green Arch on Map page also generates some question among my friends that have not flown behind glass screen.

- How to look up information on airport, etc on Map page.
Dues paid
Old 07-18-2011, 09:28 AM

Default Look outside...

the instrumentation hasn't changed since the Wright brothers.

Get them familiar with the primary group buttons. PFD, MAP, ENG and how to get back to the basic primary flight display.

Not desirable but in a pinch, they can give the unit the two finger salute (press and hold the two outer, white buttons for four seconds) and the unit will reboot to the default page, most likely the primary flight display (PFD) (your configuration may differ).

Look outside...

Good thread Paul.

Best regards,

Carlos Fernandez
GRT Avionics
Old 07-18-2011, 11:03 AM

What a great thread!!!

Before trying to make a change in nav or auto pilot, look at the PFD to see what is annunciated. PFD upper left corner and bottom middle. Try your changes and see if there was a change in annunciation.

And I think Carlos just gave us the EFIS version of "fly the airplane"..."LOOK OUTSIDE"

Jeremy Constant
Old 12-13-2011, 11:10 AM

Default Survival tip, maybe. Everyday use, sure.

Okay. Here's a senario. GRT Sport SX or Horizon HX, any GRT EFIS for that matter. Using an X96/95 gps, flight plan waypoint to waypoint, vor to vor, to an airport. Activate an approach in the X96/95. Arm the Synthetic Approach on the GRT EFIS.

The GRT EFIS will automatically set the synthetic (HITS) approach to the runway (RWY) from the flight plan. You can fly it by hand or turn on the two axis autopilot with vertical steering and let "George" fly the approach.

Disclaimer: This is not an instructional lesson and should be practiced with extreme awe and amazement. By no means is the intent to bore you or bring ill-will between you and your (hangar) neighbor.

Have fun, fly safe!

Carlos Fernandez
GRT Avionics
Old 12-13-2011, 11:30 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosF@grtavionics View Post
Okay. Here's a senario. GRT Sport SX or Horizon HX, any GRT EFIS for that matter. Using an X96/95 gps, flight plan waypoint to waypoint, vor to vor, to an airport. Activate an approach in the X96/95. Arm the Synthetic Approach on the GRT EFIS.

The GRT EFIS will automatically set the synthetic (HITS) approach to the runway (RWY) from the flight plan. You can fly it by hand or turn on the two axis autopilot with vertical steering and let "George" fly the approach.

Disclaimer: This is not an instructional lesson and should be practiced with extreme awe and amazement. By no means is the intent to bore you or bring ill-will between you and your (hangar) neighbor.

Have fun, fly safe!

Carlos Fernandez
GRT Avionics

I've done it this way many times - pretty cool to watch. As long as it doesn't spill my coke or wake me up, it's doing just fine....
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 12-13-2011, 05:25 PM

Default Way cool !

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosF@grtavionics View Post

Have fun, fly safe!

Carlos Fernandez
GRT Avionics
I just "discovered" this would work on my setup a few days ago. Until then, I had not gone to the Advanced Menu for setting up the autopilot output. You must do this to get the complete "route" sent to the EFIS.

But once I set everything correctly, it was "way cool" in that the Garmin "approaches" know about the waypoints for ILS as well as GPS approaches **AND** they know where the runway endpoints are.

Gave it a try as an "assist" and nailed the the practice approach (with a safety pilot.)

Having this additional information in the cockpit definitely has the potential to step safety up a few notches when properly used.

And it adds another comfort factor for me!

James
APRS
Old 12-13-2011, 07:51 PM

I'll have to try this with my Horizon and Garmin 480. I don't have the "V" part on my Trutrack AP, so I can't fly a fully coupled approach

My AP is wired to get input from either the 480 or the EFIS. I usually drive the AP directly from the 480 and have the approach displayed on GRT Map (with the HSI overlay if I'm doing a VOR or ILS approach). I'll have to try it with the synthetic approach and let the EFIS driving the AP.

Since the AP can handle the vertical guidance, I fly the inbound leg by hand and just use the needles to stay on course.

One thing that would help would be able to see the Runway on the EFIS sooner. (Maybe its one of my configuration settings) Most of the time the runway is just a small black spec until I'm very close in on final.
RV-12 (ELSA, Dual G3X), SOLD
Highland Village,TX